Jul 20, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
Jose Canseco dabbles in the celebrity boxing world. He’s terrible at it, getting his butt beat fairly often, but he dabbles. At least when he bothers so show up. He didn’t show up for a bout back in March, sending his twin brother Ozzie instead. His promoter wasn’t fooled, however, cancelled the bout and sued Canseco for the $7,600 he paid him.
If you were expecting a drawn-out legal battle you were sadly mistaken. Canseco simply refused to answer the complaint or show up, so the promoter got a default judgment against the former All-Star. He has no illusions that he’ll ever see the money, though, saying ”Am I going to see it? Probably never.”
I think the most unsettling thing about it all comes at the end when the promoter says that he has bouts set up involving Octomom and Michael Lohan. They’ll probably show up because, unlike Canseco, they’re pure class.
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 27
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)