Jul 20, 2011, 1:20 PM EDT
Asked yesterday if he thinks the Indians need to make a move prior to the July 31 trade deadline, manager Manny Acta replied: “That’s an understatement.”
And that was before they lost to the Twins on a walk-off hit after taking a 1-0 lead into the ninth inning.
Here’s what Acta told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
We know that from top to bottom. We’re working on it. People need to understand that it takes two to tango. You can have your Christmas list and your wishes, but you need someone else to engage with who is also going to work. It’s very easy to say go grab such and such. Go grab such and such. But they belong to somebody. It’s not like you’re going to a grocery store and grabbing something.
Shin-Soo Choo and Grady Sizemore are both on the disabled list, leaving the Indians short-handed in the outfield, and Hoynes reports that their “focus is on a middle-of-the-order right-handed hitter” and “they could use a starting pitcher as well.”
However, don’t expect the Indians to make any blockbuster deals. They’re contending a year or two sooner than expected, thanks largely to how pathetic the AL Central is right now, but Cleveland is highly unlikely to give up one of their top prospects to add veteran help.
If they’re willing to settle for a mid-rotation starter and a platoon bat, Acta and company should be able to find some dance partners.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)