Jul 20, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT
The contending Pirates could use a bat, and one bat that always seems to be available at trade deadline time is Josh Willingham. According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Athletics and Pirates are talking about him. In such a deal, Willingham and Craig Breslow would come to Pittsburgh, with Garrett Jones going to Oakland. It’s unclear if anyone else would head west.
Willingham is having a bit of a down year, hitting .244/.321/.434 with 12 homers. Breslow has likewise taken a step back this season, sporting a 1.530 WHIP, which is way up from career norms. Jones — hitting .237/.325/.415 has been no great shakes either, though it seems more and more obvious as time goes on that these are, in fact, his legitimate shakes and that the brilliant half-season he put up in 2009 was something of a fluke.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 26
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)