Jul 20, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT
The contending Pirates could use a bat, and one bat that always seems to be available at trade deadline time is Josh Willingham. According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Athletics and Pirates are talking about him. In such a deal, Willingham and Craig Breslow would come to Pittsburgh, with Garrett Jones going to Oakland. It’s unclear if anyone else would head west.
Willingham is having a bit of a down year, hitting .244/.321/.434 with 12 homers. Breslow has likewise taken a step back this season, sporting a 1.530 WHIP, which is way up from career norms. Jones — hitting .237/.325/.415 has been no great shakes either, though it seems more and more obvious as time goes on that these are, in fact, his legitimate shakes and that the brilliant half-season he put up in 2009 was something of a fluke.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 126
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)