Jul 20, 2011, 2:04 PM EDT
The contending Pirates could use a bat, and one bat that always seems to be available at trade deadline time is Josh Willingham. According to Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, the Athletics and Pirates are talking about him. In such a deal, Willingham and Craig Breslow would come to Pittsburgh, with Garrett Jones going to Oakland. It’s unclear if anyone else would head west.
Willingham is having a bit of a down year, hitting .244/.321/.434 with 12 homers. Breslow has likewise taken a step back this season, sporting a 1.530 WHIP, which is way up from career norms. Jones — hitting .237/.325/.415 has been no great shakes either, though it seems more and more obvious as time goes on that these are, in fact, his legitimate shakes and that the brilliant half-season he put up in 2009 was something of a fluke.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- LIVE: Pacers aim to even series with Heat
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination