Jul 20, 2011, 10:30 AM EST
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If you need something stronger, go for the beer. Preferably at Duffy’s Irish Pub in Washington, D.C. this Sunday, and preferably after Jayson Werth goes 0 for his next 16 or so:
Duffy’s Irish Pub has found a way to make that first-half bust pay off now. During the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday, you can order PBR tallboys, Buds and High Lifes for whatever Werth’s batting average is at the time. For example, if the promotion started right now, at the time of publication, Werth’s .211 batting average would mean $2.11 brewskies.
Of course you may ask whether or not PBRs, Buds or High Lifes are worth $2.11 or even $1.96, but why take the fun out of a fun promotion?
In other news, this Duffy’s place is apparently across the street from the 9:30 Club, up on Vermont Avenue. Many moons ago when I was a young man I went to the 9:30 Club fairly often. Maybe I was just not paying attention, but the only thing I remember being around that place — which had just moved up to its current location — was urban decay and a lot of scared white kids racing for the U Street Cardozo Metro station after shows. I think Manute Bol owned a club nearby, but it never occurred to anyone to go to it after, say, The Jesus Lizard show.
- Report: Athletics working on a trade 13
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)