Jul 20, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. If you need something stronger, go for the beer. Preferably at Duffy’s Irish Pub in Washington, D.C. this Sunday, and preferably after Jayson Werth goes 0 for his next 16 or so:
Duffy’s Irish Pub has found a way to make that first-half bust pay off now. During the game against the Los Angeles Dodgers on Sunday, you can order PBR tallboys, Buds and High Lifes for whatever Werth’s batting average is at the time. For example, if the promotion started right now, at the time of publication, Werth’s .211 batting average would mean $2.11 brewskies.
Of course you may ask whether or not PBRs, Buds or High Lifes are worth $2.11 or even $1.96, but why take the fun out of a fun promotion?
In other news, this Duffy’s place is apparently across the street from the 9:30 Club, up on Vermont Avenue. Many moons ago when I was a young man I went to the 9:30 Club fairly often. Maybe I was just not paying attention, but the only thing I remember being around that place — which had just moved up to its current location — was urban decay and a lot of scared white kids racing for the U Street Cardozo Metro station after shows. I think Manute Bol owned a club nearby, but it never occurred to anyone to go to it after, say, The Jesus Lizard show.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 63
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)