Red Sox to meet Yankees on Fenway Park’s 100th anniversary

Jul 20, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT

Old Fenway

Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston reports on a preliminary 2012 Red Sox schedule that is floating around that, surprise surprise, has the Sox meeting the Yankees on the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park, April 20th.

One big question: April 20th is a Friday, so how will ESPN be able to over-hype the living hell out of this thing if they’re not broadcasting it?  My guess: they televise the Sunday Sox-Yankees game and just assert that that is really the 100th anniversary and dare anyone to suggest otherwise.

1. yankeesfanlen - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I’ll shave with a Gem razor and carry a quart of Calvert gin with me and await for the arrival of George Herman Ruth in a couple of years.

• jimbo1949 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:50 PM

I think you might have missed him already. I was wondering about the color photo so I did some research(Wiki), scoreboard was added in 1934. Also mentions Duffy’s cliff, an incline in front of the wall (ala Crosley Field) from 1912-1933.

2. ditto65 - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:14 PM

“One big question: April 20th is a Friday, so how will ESPN be able to over-hype the living hell out of this thing if they’re not broadcasting it?”

I see a special edition of Sunday Night Baseball on April 20, 2012. Unless everyone is still smoking…

3. SmackSaw - Jul 20, 2011 at 4:45 PM

They should schedule a series with the Braves also.

4. clydeserra - Jul 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM

I don’t see the problem for ESPN. The Friday game will likely be in about the 6th inning by the time Sunday at 8:00 rolls around.

5. shaggylocks - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Will the Red Sox be wearing their milkmen throwbacks?

6. southpaw2k - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Guess who’s got two thumbs and will be boycotting ESPN that weekend? THIS GUY.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5355)