Jul 20, 2011, 4:48 PM EST
MLB has suspended Reds prospect Jonathan Correa one year for lying about his age, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America.
Correa, a right-hander who ranked 26th on BA‘s list of the Reds’ top prospects coming into the season, was signed out of the Dominican Republic in 2008 and is currently said to have a September 13, 1990 birth date that would make him 20 years old.
Badler notes that Correa was previously suspended 50 games for performance-enhancing drug use shortly after debuting in 2008 and then missed most of 2009 following Tommy John elbow surgery, so he’s been pretty damn busy for a guy with all of 102 career innings and zero experience above rookie-ball.
When healthy and not suspended Correa has been very good, with a 2.46 ERA and 117/35 K/BB ratio, although that won’t be so impressive if it turns out the 6-foot-1 right-hander is actually 27 years old. It would, however, be even more impressive if it turns out he’s 72, although presumably in that case a former teammate like Jamie Moyer would’ve tipped authorities off to his true identity.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)