Report: Phillies, Royals involved in ‘serious’ Melky Cabrera talks

Jul 20, 2011, 7:13 PM EDT

Melky Cabrera Getty Images

Melky Cabrera‘s last stint in the NL East was pretty much a disaster, but the Phillies are apparently looking to bring him back.  They’ve exchanged names in trade talks with the Royals, FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports.

Cabrera has been a very solid center fielder for the Royals this season, hitting .296/.333/.459 with 12 homers and 14 steals in 405 at-bats.  It’s a big turnaround from a 2010 season in which he hit .255/.317/.354 with four homers and seven steals in 458 at-bats for the Braves.

If they can’t land Carlos Beltran, the Phillies may well settle for an outfielder who can back up Shane Victorino in center and help out in the corners against lefties.  Cabrera, though, isn’t particularly well suited for such a role.  He’s not a stellar center fielder, and while he’s a switch-hitter, he’s been considerably weaker against left-handed pitching in his career (.684 OPS, compared to .735 against righties).

Morosi says no deal is particularly close at the moment.  Cabrera, though, likely will be moved prior to the July 31 deadline.  The Royals need to clear room for Lorenzo Cain, a product of the Zack Greinke deal currently hitting .319/.385/.525 at Triple-A Omaha.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Hmm…Mayberry Jr. plays an excellent CF and should be the one doing the backing up. Upon seeing his numbers, initially I was thinking this was a good move…but upon delving further into the particulars of his stats and various defensive metrics, I am not so sure. I think he will be a better corner outfielder than a CF particularly at CBP where RF is fairly small and the “Flyin’ Hawaiian” covering a lot of ground. The numbers against lefties are a bit better this year (.750 OPS) and significantly better than the other corner outfielders. Depends on what they are asking for and what other players are available.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Cabrera isn’t much of an upgrade from Maybery Jr. I wouldn’t want him even for minor prospects. I’d rather upgrade and get Beltran or stand pat.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I hear the Astros are willing to deal Pence. Rather go for him…assuming Brown isn’t involved in the deal. I think Cosart and Singleton, plus a minor prospect gets it done.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

You know what agitates me; I read these bloggers sometimes that talk out of their ass. Making comments such as they Phillies don’t have prospects to get such and such done. The Phillies have a top 5 rated farm system. They have prospects. Plenty of them. I mean, if you are going to start and run a blog and tweet about it and stuff, at least no what you are talking about. Like this blog, these guys do their homework and know their stuff.

• skerney - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

You know what agitates me; Commenters that talk out of their ass. Making comments like the Phillies have prospects to get such and such done. The Phillies have the number 10 rated farm system according to Baseball America, not “a top 5.” This is based on Domonic Brown being projected as a minor leaguer going into the season, so unless he goes back to the minors that ranking will certainly drop going into 2012. Other than Brown, Baseball America lists one Philly minor leaguer as a top 50 prospect, Jonathan Singleton. One player. One. So I’d like to know who the “plenty’ of prospects the Phillies have to move. I mean, if you are going to make chest thumping claims about the Phillies, at least know what you are talking about. Like Baseball America, those guys do their homework and know stuff.

• andyreidisfat - Jul 21, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Even at if they are at 10 and i am not defending the other guy or anything but since there is 32 teams isn’t 10 pretty good. I mean that means they are better than 22 other teams. Right ???

So i guess what i am saying is when siting stats and talking crap about others “chest thumping” you should probably not site stats that really don’t back your claim. Cuz from where i am sitting i would think the number 10 rated farm system would be pretty good. Basicly i would say your post one big giant FAIL.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 21, 2011 at 7:16 AM

Your reply made little to no sense.

• skerney - Jul 21, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Thank you andyreidisfat, you totally burned me. Next time I am “siting” stats I’ll do a bedder job. Cuz now I know that 10 is huger than 5, so having the #10 sistem in baseball is bedder that having the 5 system. Right ??? “Basicly” I no nothing about baseball. All 32 teems.

4. royalsfaninfargo - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Lets see what you got Philly. Anything good?

• ame123 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Plenty. But you aren’t getting good. You’re getting mediocre and you’re gonna like it.

5. proudlycanadian - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I do not take this story seriously. I do not think that Melky is a good fit in Philadelphia. Probably a smokescreen. The Phillies will get a decent hitter, but probably not anyone mentioned in the media.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Melky wont do a lot other then play good defense but at least the phils can afford this deal. Gotta love listening to charlie manual talk, does that guy have a handful of marbles in his mouth or what?

7. thekingdave - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:16 AM