Jul 20, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Times reports that Bryan Stow suffered a 30-second seizure earlier this week and that, as a result, he underwent emergency surgery to alleviate fluid build-up on his brain. There is no word in the linked story as to how that has changed his overall condition, but obviously emergency surgery is not a good thing.
In other news, while there is one suspect in custody in the Stow case, no one has been charged and the investigation continues. Accordingly, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors has increased the reward for information leading to arrests in the case. Before they were offering $10,000, now it’s $25,000. The Dodgers continue to offer $200,000.
The guy they have in custody — Giovanni Ramirez — is being held on an unrelated parole violation. His girlfriend was recently arrested too, though there is no suggestion of a connection as of yet. There is word, however, that the police are having difficulty making a case against Ramirez due to multiple friends and family members offering him alibis, so this all remains somewhat depressing.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 23
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 78
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)