Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 PM EDT
Awful news tonight out of the desert.
According to the Diamondbacks’ official Twitter feed, shortstop Stephen Drew has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and is likely to undergo surgery. He could miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Drew suffered the injury while sliding into home plate during Wednesday night’s game against the Brewers. His right leg got caught under his own body just before he made contact with Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who applied a tag to Drew’s torso. Drew had to be carried off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any pressure on the ankle.
You can view the gruesome video HERE.
The Diamondbacks are making arrangements to promote 35-year-old Cody Ransom from Triple-A Reno. The journeyman infielder has registered a fantastic 1.060 OPS, 25 home runs and 86 RBI in 91 games this season for the Aces while playing second base, third base and shortstop. He’s unlikely to match that level of production in the big leagues, but he may ease the pain of Drew’s loss if he can come close.
The D’Backs are currently four games back of the Giants in the National League West standings.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)