Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 PM EDT
Awful news tonight out of the desert.
According to the Diamondbacks’ official Twitter feed, shortstop Stephen Drew has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and is likely to undergo surgery. He could miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Drew suffered the injury while sliding into home plate during Wednesday night’s game against the Brewers. His right leg got caught under his own body just before he made contact with Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who applied a tag to Drew’s torso. Drew had to be carried off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any pressure on the ankle.
You can view the gruesome video HERE.
The Diamondbacks are making arrangements to promote 35-year-old Cody Ransom from Triple-A Reno. The journeyman infielder has registered a fantastic 1.060 OPS, 25 home runs and 86 RBI in 91 games this season for the Aces while playing second base, third base and shortstop. He’s unlikely to match that level of production in the big leagues, but he may ease the pain of Drew’s loss if he can come close.
The D’Backs are currently four games back of the Giants in the National League West standings.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)