Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 PM EDT
Awful news tonight out of the desert.
According to the Diamondbacks’ official Twitter feed, shortstop Stephen Drew has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and is likely to undergo surgery. He could miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Drew suffered the injury while sliding into home plate during Wednesday night’s game against the Brewers. His right leg got caught under his own body just before he made contact with Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who applied a tag to Drew’s torso. Drew had to be carried off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any pressure on the ankle.
You can view the gruesome video HERE.
The Diamondbacks are making arrangements to promote 35-year-old Cody Ransom from Triple-A Reno. The journeyman infielder has registered a fantastic 1.060 OPS, 25 home runs and 86 RBI in 91 games this season for the Aces while playing second base, third base and shortstop. He’s unlikely to match that level of production in the big leagues, but he may ease the pain of Drew’s loss if he can come close.
The D’Backs are currently four games back of the Giants in the National League West standings.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)