Jul 20, 2011, 11:42 PM EDT
Awful news tonight out of the desert.
According to the Diamondbacks’ official Twitter feed, shortstop Stephen Drew has been diagnosed with a fractured right ankle and is likely to undergo surgery. He could miss the rest of the 2011 season.
Drew suffered the injury while sliding into home plate during Wednesday night’s game against the Brewers. His right leg got caught under his own body just before he made contact with Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy, who applied a tag to Drew’s torso. Drew had to be carried off the field by two trainers and was unable to put any pressure on the ankle.
You can view the gruesome video HERE.
The Diamondbacks are making arrangements to promote 35-year-old Cody Ransom from Triple-A Reno. The journeyman infielder has registered a fantastic 1.060 OPS, 25 home runs and 86 RBI in 91 games this season for the Aces while playing second base, third base and shortstop. He’s unlikely to match that level of production in the big leagues, but he may ease the pain of Drew’s loss if he can come close.
The D’Backs are currently four games back of the Giants in the National League West standings.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)