The very wonderful Vance Worley

Jul 20, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT

Vance Worley Getty Images

Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee are such old news.

Vance Worley just pitched eight innings of one-run ball to beat the Cubs and pick up his fourth consecutive win for the Phillies on Wednesday.  It was the sixth straight start in which he’s given up one or no runs, matching the NL’s longest streak this season.

In fact, it’s just the 19th such streak since 2000:

8 – Johan Santana (2004 Twins)
8 – Derek Lowe (2008 Dodgers-2009 Braves)
8 – Josh Johnson (2010 Marlins)
7 – Kevin Brown (2003 Dodgers)
7 – Mike Hampton (2004-05 Braves)
7 – Chris Carpenter (2005 Cardinals)
7 – Wandy Rodriguez (2009 Astros)
7 – Justin Verlander (2011 Tigers)
6 – Frank Castillo (2000 Blue Jays-Red Sox)
6 – Jamie Moyer (2001 Mariners)
6 – Cory Lidle (2002 Athletics)
6 – Mark Prior (2003 Cubs)
6 – Matt Cain (2006 Giants)
6 – Zack Greinke (2008-09 Royals)
6 – Zack Greinke (2009 Royals)
6 – Chris Young (2010 Padres-2011 Mets)
6 – Justin Masterson (2010-11 Indians)
6 – Ryan Vogelsong (2011 Giants)
6 – Vance Worley (2011 Phillies)

Worley has a 0.93 ERA during the streak, having allowed four runs in 38 1/3 innings.

CC Sabathia actually has a chance to join this company on Thursday.  He’s working on a streak of five straight starts with one or no runs allowed.

1. kingjoe1 - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:25 PM

That is some very good company. He will be a great 4th starter next year for the phils when Oswalt retires.

• Old Gator - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, and they’ll need him if they want to stay competitive this year, too.

Sorry, I owed Chris one for his needling on the U2 thread.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 6:42 PM

He has been very important this year. He had to be good because there is nobody else. They do not have an 8th starter. They are throwing some serious crap out there in the AAA starting rotation. It’s amazing that Ryno has the Iron Pigs playing so well considering what they are giving him.

2. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM

He’s doing a great job on my fantasy team as well. Any good nickname ideas for the guy? I was thinking Vancy Pants, though I don’t know how to translate that into a crowd of fans theme at the ball park. Maybe the Worley Pool, but then a bunch of people would have to bring those annoying spinning things and risk getting virtigo. Seeing how we have four Aces, maybe he could be the suicide king? He makes hitters want to put themselves out of their own misery! Ok, I’m reaching at this point. Any other thoughts? (now to proof read since there’s no EDIT FUNCTION!)

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

I think his teammates call him Vanimal.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM

It was right there……..and I didn’t even see it!

• gvots - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Vance Vance Revolution
      Vance Refrigeration

• gvots - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM

I didn’t come up with those btw. They most likely belong to David Hale or Bill Baer.

3. Jonny 5 - Jul 20, 2011 at 8:52 PM

VAN-I-MAL!!!!!

I hear his name mentioned in trade rumors and it makes me have my angry face. Let’s not sacrifice this guy for a rental player please.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:01 PM

I agree. Some clown Philly sports writer just posted an article with the central theme that if the Mets want Dom Brown or Vance Worley for Beltran, that’s cool…do it. That stuff is pure nonsense. The Phillies aren’t just built to win this one season, they are built to win in the next few seasons. Brown is a critical part of the puzzle. Dealing him for a rental who will go to the highest bid is ridiculous.

4. hank10 - Jul 20, 2011 at 9:04 PM

Fear the Frames!

5. philly56 - Jul 20, 2011 at 10:49 PM

I’d hate to be Joe Blanton right now.

• fatfreddystubbs - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:27 PM

What a coincidence, Joe Blanton would hate to be you.

• philly56 - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:18 AM

I’ve got a cheeseburger and some cake in my fridge right now, so I doubt that.

6. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I couldn’t agree more about not trading either Worley or Brown. I really like “Vance Refrigeration” by the way. If the Phillies give that kid up ,even for a long term player, I’d still be upset. Pitchers are too important to just trade for a quick fix. Oswalt was a question mark when the Phillies signed him with his history of back issues, and now they seem to be showing to still be a factor, so how many more years do they expect to get out of him? If they want to trade lower tier prospects and bring in someone, fine. But if I see those glasses starring down the Fightins some day, I won’t be able to help but think “Why did they get rid of that guy? What a bad move that was”. Whoever said trade him or Brown for Beltran should not be a sports writer, cause they’re obviously not even a thinker. I think Brown is just gonna get better year by year and will be very valuable down the road, and Worley is showing to be of great value already, so if you’re gonna trade someone, especially for a rental player,. let it be someone who has yet to show you any big league promise.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:34 AM

I say the VW Bus. And I agree that there’s no way they should trade him. I’m not saying it would be a Cliffy-to-Seattle type move, but….

By the way, semantically speaking, Oswalt wasn’t signed. Rube traded JA Happ for him.

7. fatfreddystubbs - Jul 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM

People should be excited about Worley, but this is the same fanbase that was horrified at the idea of parting with JA Happ (you won’t admit it now, but yes, you were), and prior to September 2010 thought Kevin Kolb was the next Joe Montana.

8. illphills2008 - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:51 AM

How about “Terminal Vancer” or “Tiny Vancer” or “Vanberry” or “Hit van” or “Ku Klux Van”? ok, probably not that last one. “Backup Van” —That ones pretty accurate, too.

9. phillysports266 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM

No one in Philly thought Kolb was the next Montana besides Andy Reid

10. Panda Claus - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:37 AM

Hmm, no Orioles are on that list? Why am I not surprised.

Now I have to ask using my strongest AL bias…. Who the heck is Vance Worley and where did he come from? Someone please tell me Jo Anne Worley is his mom (OK, maybe grandmother).

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey