Jul 20, 2011, 10:55 PM EST
The writing was on the wall for Inge when Wilson Betemit was acquired from the Royals on Wednesday afternoon for two minor league prospects. Betemit is expected to take over starting duties at the hot corner and should be able to provide Detroit with far more offense than his predecessor.
Inge, who turned 34 years old in May, was batting just .177 with a .483 OPS and only 10 extra-base hits in 239 plate appearances this season. He should clear waivers and has informed the Tigers that he will accept an assignment to Triple-A Toledo.
Inge has spent all 11 of his major league seasons with Detroit, at first serving as a catcher. He twice slugged 27 home runs in a season and appeared in one All-Star Game. In order to make it back to the Motor City by the end of this summer, he’ll have to go on an absolute tear with the Mud Hens.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)