Jul 20, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
Betemit hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-year from 2010, but he’s hitting .281 with a .750 OPS in a part-time role and will give the Tigers a switch-hitting alternative to the .177-hitting Brandon Inge at third base.
Betemit also has big-league experience at first base, shortstop, second base, and both outfield corners, so he’s definitely a nice bat to have around. In return they give up left-hander Antonio Cruz and catcher Julio Rodriguez, both of whom are at Single-A and considered mid-level prospects at best.
Picking up Betemit certainly isn’t a blockbuster move, but it’s a nice pre-deadline addition for the Tigers without having to give up much and he should provide an offensive boost along with some versatility.
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 13
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 15
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 12
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)