Jul 20, 2011, 5:42 PM EDT
Betemit hasn’t been able to duplicate his career-year from 2010, but he’s hitting .281 with a .750 OPS in a part-time role and will give the Tigers a switch-hitting alternative to the .177-hitting Brandon Inge at third base.
Betemit also has big-league experience at first base, shortstop, second base, and both outfield corners, so he’s definitely a nice bat to have around. In return they give up left-hander Antonio Cruz and catcher Julio Rodriguez, both of whom are at Single-A and considered mid-level prospects at best.
Picking up Betemit certainly isn’t a blockbuster move, but it’s a nice pre-deadline addition for the Tigers without having to give up much and he should provide an offensive boost along with some versatility.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)