Jul 20, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that the Twins have no interest in trading Michael Cuddyer and in fact want to re-sign the impending free agent, but that hasn’t stopped other teams from inquiring about his availability.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News the Giants expressed interest in Cuddyer with the intention of playing him at second base, but were rebuffed by the Twins and quickly moved on to acquire Jeff Keppinger from the Astros for a pair of prospects.
It’s unclear exactly how far any discussions with Minnesota advanced, but general manager Brian Sabean admitted that he’d been working on “something bigger” before picking up Keppinger.
As a good but not great 32-year-old making $10.5 million on the verge of free agency Cuddyer is exactly the type of player most sub-.500 teams should be looking to cash in for future value at the trade deadline, but because the division is so weak the Twins aren’t like most sub-.500 teams. With that said, not trading Cuddyer for long-term help could be a missed opportunity if the Twins fall out of contention and re-signing him for similar money would be very dangerous.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)