Jul 20, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that the Twins have no interest in trading Michael Cuddyer and in fact want to re-sign the impending free agent, but that hasn’t stopped other teams from inquiring about his availability.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News the Giants expressed interest in Cuddyer with the intention of playing him at second base, but were rebuffed by the Twins and quickly moved on to acquire Jeff Keppinger from the Astros for a pair of prospects.
It’s unclear exactly how far any discussions with Minnesota advanced, but general manager Brian Sabean admitted that he’d been working on “something bigger” before picking up Keppinger.
As a good but not great 32-year-old making $10.5 million on the verge of free agency Cuddyer is exactly the type of player most sub-.500 teams should be looking to cash in for future value at the trade deadline, but because the division is so weak the Twins aren’t like most sub-.500 teams. With that said, not trading Cuddyer for long-term help could be a missed opportunity if the Twins fall out of contention and re-signing him for similar money would be very dangerous.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 5
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 29
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 68
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)