Jul 20, 2011, 11:19 AM EDT
Earlier this week Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported that the Twins have no interest in trading Michael Cuddyer and in fact want to re-sign the impending free agent, but that hasn’t stopped other teams from inquiring about his availability.
According to Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News the Giants expressed interest in Cuddyer with the intention of playing him at second base, but were rebuffed by the Twins and quickly moved on to acquire Jeff Keppinger from the Astros for a pair of prospects.
It’s unclear exactly how far any discussions with Minnesota advanced, but general manager Brian Sabean admitted that he’d been working on “something bigger” before picking up Keppinger.
As a good but not great 32-year-old making $10.5 million on the verge of free agency Cuddyer is exactly the type of player most sub-.500 teams should be looking to cash in for future value at the trade deadline, but because the division is so weak the Twins aren’t like most sub-.500 teams. With that said, not trading Cuddyer for long-term help could be a missed opportunity if the Twins fall out of contention and re-signing him for similar money would be very dangerous.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 0
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 1
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (96)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)