And now, your useless trade rumor of the day

Jul 21, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT

Carlos Beltran Getty Images

When it comes to trade rumor season I hate the game, not the player, but really, this one from Buster Olney gets me a bit miffed:

If the Brewers can scrape together package/prospects to get Carlos Beltran-like searching for nickels under couch cushions– they’ll do it.

The Mets are on record saying that they will eat salary in a Beltran trade because, first and foremost, they want a top prospect.  The Brewers are devoid of top prospects in what most people agree is the worst farm system in baseball.

I get that everyone loves trade rumors — and I get that Twitter, which is where Buster floated this, makes thorough discussion difficult — but if we aren’t giving these little tidbits at least a modicum of scrutiny, I don’t think they’re worth talking about.

1. proudlycanadian - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM

The Brewers traded away their top prospects last year for Marcum and Greinke. The cupboard is bare.

• drunkenhooliganism - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM

They don’t have the prospects or a position* for him to play. Perfect trade.

Unless they bench Corey Hart. Or play Hart in centerfield. Or play Beltran in center.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:20 AM

Why does anyone still listen to Buster Olney when he all but had Cliff Lee traded to the Yankees last year, right up until the second he was sent to Texas? This guy is so irrelevant even within his own company. When Jayson Stark talks, people should listen. When Buster Olney talks, people should laugh.

• bjavie - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I was always a hater of Buster Olney. I then came to realize that this time of year is why.

Way back he basically guiaranteed that “Billy Wagner would be on the Red Sox by Saturday.” The following YEAR he was still on the Phillies. And as you mention, last year with Lee and the Yankees. Every year he does it multiple times. Heis just DYING to be the guy who is first to break the news on the “big one”!!

I think Buster has earned at least some respect, but when it comes to trade rumors and predictions he needs to leave it to some one else…anyone else.

• bigleagues - Jul 21, 2011 at 6:11 PM

That’s Bluster Phoney – the author formerly known as Buster Olney hasn’t existed since “The Last Night of the Yankees Dynasty”.

3. 12strikes - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Since the Brewers have nothing to offer prospect wise, could they be thinking it might work if they offer to pay the rest of Beltran salary, and throw in a couple of mid to low-level prospects. That might work for a team that is money strapped, like the Mets.

4. bigleagues - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:49 PM

I agree. I’m not talkin about Bluster Phoney’s speculative trade “rumors”.

5. psousa1 - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Or Peter Gammons’ annual take that every player under contract in major league baseball is being traded to Boston or New York.

• bigleagues - Jul 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Peter Gammons has been on cruise control since ESPN signed him away from the Boston Globe.

He is prone to stating things as fact even when they have zero basis in truth. For about 2 months around Alfonso Soriano’s rookie season he was referring to him as “Amaury” Soriano. I had been around Soriano for about 3 months, I knew people that knew him for far longer than that. No one had ever heard anyone refer to Soriano as “Amaury”.

So I see Gammons at the Winter Meetings and I ask him why he referred to Soriano as “Amaury” an he responds, because “some guy had written me and told me that was his nickname”.

6. foreverchipper10 - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM

Buster Olney reminds me of a friend’s dad. Spitting image. Same with Mel Kiper and another friends dad. Maybe I watch too much ESPN…..

Three legends off to Cooperstown