Jul 21, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
When it comes to trade rumor season I hate the game, not the player, but really, this one from Buster Olney gets me a bit miffed:
If the Brewers can scrape together package/prospects to get Carlos Beltran-like searching for nickels under couch cushions– they’ll do it.
The Mets are on record saying that they will eat salary in a Beltran trade because, first and foremost, they want a top prospect. The Brewers are devoid of top prospects in what most people agree is the worst farm system in baseball.
I get that everyone loves trade rumors — and I get that Twitter, which is where Buster floated this, makes thorough discussion difficult — but if we aren’t giving these little tidbits at least a modicum of scrutiny, I don’t think they’re worth talking about.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 305
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (303)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)