Jul 21, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
When it comes to trade rumor season I hate the game, not the player, but really, this one from Buster Olney gets me a bit miffed:
If the Brewers can scrape together package/prospects to get Carlos Beltran-like searching for nickels under couch cushions– they’ll do it.
The Mets are on record saying that they will eat salary in a Beltran trade because, first and foremost, they want a top prospect. The Brewers are devoid of top prospects in what most people agree is the worst farm system in baseball.
I get that everyone loves trade rumors — and I get that Twitter, which is where Buster floated this, makes thorough discussion difficult — but if we aren’t giving these little tidbits at least a modicum of scrutiny, I don’t think they’re worth talking about.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (92)