Jul 21, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
When it comes to trade rumor season I hate the game, not the player, but really, this one from Buster Olney gets me a bit miffed:
If the Brewers can scrape together package/prospects to get Carlos Beltran-like searching for nickels under couch cushions– they’ll do it.
The Mets are on record saying that they will eat salary in a Beltran trade because, first and foremost, they want a top prospect. The Brewers are devoid of top prospects in what most people agree is the worst farm system in baseball.
I get that everyone loves trade rumors — and I get that Twitter, which is where Buster floated this, makes thorough discussion difficult — but if we aren’t giving these little tidbits at least a modicum of scrutiny, I don’t think they’re worth talking about.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 0
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 11
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 8
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles