Jul 21, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
When it comes to trade rumor season I hate the game, not the player, but really, this one from Buster Olney gets me a bit miffed:
If the Brewers can scrape together package/prospects to get Carlos Beltran-like searching for nickels under couch cushions– they’ll do it.
The Mets are on record saying that they will eat salary in a Beltran trade because, first and foremost, they want a top prospect. The Brewers are devoid of top prospects in what most people agree is the worst farm system in baseball.
I get that everyone loves trade rumors — and I get that Twitter, which is where Buster floated this, makes thorough discussion difficult — but if we aren’t giving these little tidbits at least a modicum of scrutiny, I don’t think they’re worth talking about.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (85)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (79)
- Barry Bonds is back in uniform (68)