Jul 21, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
Following up on that post about the autographed Derek Jeter baseballs is a link to another story about how memorabilia is pretty much awful. The story involves a deceased father’s extensive autographed baseball collection and the fight to inherit it by his two adult-yet-totally-childish sons, each of whom claims ownership.
The dead father, by the way, was on the board of the Chicago White Sox, so proximity to ballplayers meant that this is a big, big collection.
The worst thing about all of this, however, is not the fight between the sons. Nor is it about the peril of improper estate planning. No, the worst thing about it is how one of the sons’ thefts of autographed baseballs was explained via a totally gratuitous swipe at Ray Durham, who I always kinda liked:
A closer look revealed that someone had taken another ball and secretly replaced it with a ball signed by Ray Durham, a former second baseman for the White Sox and other teams. Durham is a friend of the Pogofsky family, but his career .277 batting average did not merit his autographed ball sitting among balls signed by the game’s most legendary players.
The Durham ball “is worth, like $5,” Benjamin Pogofsky said.
Ray Durham, thankfully, could not be reached for comment.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)