Jul 21, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
Update: Gonzalez has been taken to the hospital for X-rays on his wrist.
Carlos Gonzalez came out of Thursday’s game in the fifth inning after re-injuring his right wrist on a swing in the game against the Braves.
Gonzalez injured the wrist crashing into the wall on July 3 and missed the next four days. He continued to battle soreness and didn’t play the first game after the All-Star break, though he had started the last six days. He hit his second homer in three games in the first inning of today’s game.
Unfortunately, it appeared as though the setback he experienced today was quite significant. He was in obvious pain as he left in the middle of his at-bat. Ryan Spilborghs replaced him.
Gonzalez likely will now serve that DL stint he’s spent 2 1/2 weeks trying to avoid. Ty Wigginton and Spilborghs will fill in for him in left field, with Ian Stewart getting additional playing time at third base.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)