Jul 21, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
Update: Gonzalez has been taken to the hospital for X-rays on his wrist.
Carlos Gonzalez came out of Thursday’s game in the fifth inning after re-injuring his right wrist on a swing in the game against the Braves.
Gonzalez injured the wrist crashing into the wall on July 3 and missed the next four days. He continued to battle soreness and didn’t play the first game after the All-Star break, though he had started the last six days. He hit his second homer in three games in the first inning of today’s game.
Unfortunately, it appeared as though the setback he experienced today was quite significant. He was in obvious pain as he left in the middle of his at-bat. Ryan Spilborghs replaced him.
Gonzalez likely will now serve that DL stint he’s spent 2 1/2 weeks trying to avoid. Ty Wigginton and Spilborghs will fill in for him in left field, with Ian Stewart getting additional playing time at third base.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)