Jul 21, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
Update: Gonzalez has been taken to the hospital for X-rays on his wrist.
Carlos Gonzalez came out of Thursday’s game in the fifth inning after re-injuring his right wrist on a swing in the game against the Braves.
Gonzalez injured the wrist crashing into the wall on July 3 and missed the next four days. He continued to battle soreness and didn’t play the first game after the All-Star break, though he had started the last six days. He hit his second homer in three games in the first inning of today’s game.
Unfortunately, it appeared as though the setback he experienced today was quite significant. He was in obvious pain as he left in the middle of his at-bat. Ryan Spilborghs replaced him.
Gonzalez likely will now serve that DL stint he’s spent 2 1/2 weeks trying to avoid. Ty Wigginton and Spilborghs will fill in for him in left field, with Ian Stewart getting additional playing time at third base.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)