Jul 21, 2011, 5:12 PM EDT
Update: Gonzalez has been taken to the hospital for X-rays on his wrist.
Carlos Gonzalez came out of Thursday’s game in the fifth inning after re-injuring his right wrist on a swing in the game against the Braves.
Gonzalez injured the wrist crashing into the wall on July 3 and missed the next four days. He continued to battle soreness and didn’t play the first game after the All-Star break, though he had started the last six days. He hit his second homer in three games in the first inning of today’s game.
Unfortunately, it appeared as though the setback he experienced today was quite significant. He was in obvious pain as he left in the middle of his at-bat. Ryan Spilborghs replaced him.
Gonzalez likely will now serve that DL stint he’s spent 2 1/2 weeks trying to avoid. Ty Wigginton and Spilborghs will fill in for him in left field, with Ian Stewart getting additional playing time at third base.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (183)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)