Jul 21, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
Update: Gonzalez has been taken to the hospital for X-rays on his wrist.
Carlos Gonzalez came out of Thursday’s game in the fifth inning after re-injuring his right wrist on a swing in the game against the Braves.
Gonzalez injured the wrist crashing into the wall on July 3 and missed the next four days. He continued to battle soreness and didn’t play the first game after the All-Star break, though he had started the last six days. He hit his second homer in three games in the first inning of today’s game.
Unfortunately, it appeared as though the setback he experienced today was quite significant. He was in obvious pain as he left in the middle of his at-bat. Ryan Spilborghs replaced him.
Gonzalez likely will now serve that DL stint he’s spent 2 1/2 weeks trying to avoid. Ty Wigginton and Spilborghs will fill in for him in left field, with Ian Stewart getting additional playing time at third base.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 80
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)