Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
We knew Grady Sizemore’s knee was a potential problem, but we didn’t know this until just now: he had a sports hernia too. And as a result, Sizemore underwent abdominal surgery today. According to the team, he faces a 4-to-6 week recovery time.
Best estimates are that Sizemore would have had to miss four weeks for the knee problem anyway, so it’s not as if he’s missing a lot more time than he would have absent the hernia, but this is still kind of depressing on some level. I mean, there was a time a couple of years ago where Sizemore would have topped many “who would you choose to build your team around” lists. Now it would be awesome to simply play in a healthy and effective manner for more than a month at a time.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)