Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
We knew Grady Sizemore’s knee was a potential problem, but we didn’t know this until just now: he had a sports hernia too. And as a result, Sizemore underwent abdominal surgery today. According to the team, he faces a 4-to-6 week recovery time.
Best estimates are that Sizemore would have had to miss four weeks for the knee problem anyway, so it’s not as if he’s missing a lot more time than he would have absent the hernia, but this is still kind of depressing on some level. I mean, there was a time a couple of years ago where Sizemore would have topped many “who would you choose to build your team around” lists. Now it would be awesome to simply play in a healthy and effective manner for more than a month at a time.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)