Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
We knew Grady Sizemore’s knee was a potential problem, but we didn’t know this until just now: he had a sports hernia too. And as a result, Sizemore underwent abdominal surgery today. According to the team, he faces a 4-to-6 week recovery time.
Best estimates are that Sizemore would have had to miss four weeks for the knee problem anyway, so it’s not as if he’s missing a lot more time than he would have absent the hernia, but this is still kind of depressing on some level. I mean, there was a time a couple of years ago where Sizemore would have topped many “who would you choose to build your team around” lists. Now it would be awesome to simply play in a healthy and effective manner for more than a month at a time.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 0
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 7
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)