Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM EDT
We knew Grady Sizemore’s knee was a potential problem, but we didn’t know this until just now: he had a sports hernia too. And as a result, Sizemore underwent abdominal surgery today. According to the team, he faces a 4-to-6 week recovery time.
Best estimates are that Sizemore would have had to miss four weeks for the knee problem anyway, so it’s not as if he’s missing a lot more time than he would have absent the hernia, but this is still kind of depressing on some level. I mean, there was a time a couple of years ago where Sizemore would have topped many “who would you choose to build your team around” lists. Now it would be awesome to simply play in a healthy and effective manner for more than a month at a time.
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 10
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 42
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)