Jul 21, 2011, 1:00 PM EST
We knew Grady Sizemore’s knee was a potential problem, but we didn’t know this until just now: he had a sports hernia too. And as a result, Sizemore underwent abdominal surgery today. According to the team, he faces a 4-to-6 week recovery time.
Best estimates are that Sizemore would have had to miss four weeks for the knee problem anyway, so it’s not as if he’s missing a lot more time than he would have absent the hernia, but this is still kind of depressing on some level. I mean, there was a time a couple of years ago where Sizemore would have topped many “who would you choose to build your team around” lists. Now it would be awesome to simply play in a healthy and effective manner for more than a month at a time.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 48
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)