Jul 21, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis announced the move himself on Twitter:
I’m Coming Cleveland!!
With Grady Sizemore on the shelf and the Indians in need of a bat, Kipnis will join the team tomorrow. What exactly he’ll be doing is still unclear. Kipnis is a former outfielder who moved to second base last year. The Indians could decide to start him at second over Orlando Cabrera, but they also have an obvious need in the outfield now and may stash him there instead.
The 24-year-old Kipnis was hitting .279/.361/.481 with 12 homers and 12 steals for Triple-A Columbus. He was actually ice cold as of late, having gone 3-for-31 since play resumed following the All-Star break. He hit .297/.380/.506 during the first half of the season.
While he’s a left-handed hitter, Kipnis has actually done his best work against southpaws this season, hitting .313/.388/.536 with five homers. He’s at .262/.348/.454 versus righties.
The Indians wouldn’t call him up now unless they intended to play him regularly. Whether it’s at second base or in left field, expect to see him in the lineup nearly everyday.
Update: The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Paul Hoynes reports that Kipnis will play mostly second base and that it “doesn’t sound like he’ll see much, if any, time” in the outfield.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)