Jul 21, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis announced the move himself on Twitter:
I’m Coming Cleveland!!
With Grady Sizemore on the shelf and the Indians in need of a bat, Kipnis will join the team tomorrow. What exactly he’ll be doing is still unclear. Kipnis is a former outfielder who moved to second base last year. The Indians could decide to start him at second over Orlando Cabrera, but they also have an obvious need in the outfield now and may stash him there instead.
The 24-year-old Kipnis was hitting .279/.361/.481 with 12 homers and 12 steals for Triple-A Columbus. He was actually ice cold as of late, having gone 3-for-31 since play resumed following the All-Star break. He hit .297/.380/.506 during the first half of the season.
While he’s a left-handed hitter, Kipnis has actually done his best work against southpaws this season, hitting .313/.388/.536 with five homers. He’s at .262/.348/.454 versus righties.
The Indians wouldn’t call him up now unless they intended to play him regularly. Whether it’s at second base or in left field, expect to see him in the lineup nearly everyday.
Update: The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Paul Hoynes reports that Kipnis will play mostly second base and that it “doesn’t sound like he’ll see much, if any, time” in the outfield.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)