Jul 21, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis announced the move himself on Twitter:
I’m Coming Cleveland!!
With Grady Sizemore on the shelf and the Indians in need of a bat, Kipnis will join the team tomorrow. What exactly he’ll be doing is still unclear. Kipnis is a former outfielder who moved to second base last year. The Indians could decide to start him at second over Orlando Cabrera, but they also have an obvious need in the outfield now and may stash him there instead.
The 24-year-old Kipnis was hitting .279/.361/.481 with 12 homers and 12 steals for Triple-A Columbus. He was actually ice cold as of late, having gone 3-for-31 since play resumed following the All-Star break. He hit .297/.380/.506 during the first half of the season.
While he’s a left-handed hitter, Kipnis has actually done his best work against southpaws this season, hitting .313/.388/.536 with five homers. He’s at .262/.348/.454 versus righties.
The Indians wouldn’t call him up now unless they intended to play him regularly. Whether it’s at second base or in left field, expect to see him in the lineup nearly everyday.
Update: The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Paul Hoynes reports that Kipnis will play mostly second base and that it “doesn’t sound like he’ll see much, if any, time” in the outfield.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)