Jeter’s time in the leadoff spot may soon end

Jul 21, 2011, 9:13 AM EDT

Derek Jeter Getty Images

It’s become fairly routine by now: each afternoon, roughly around 3:30 or so, the Yankees lineup for that night’s game is posted and, immediately thereafter, my Twitter feed blows up.

Half of the people yelling are Yankees fans complaining that Derek Jeter is still in the lineup spot. The other half are a second group of Yankees fans telling the first set of Yankees fans to shut up and quit complaining about it because it’s not going to do anything any good and dear god, don’t we have other things to worry about.

Actually, that’s pretty much the pattern for any issues related to the Yankees. You don’t see many “well, you have a good point, I see where you’re coming from” tweets when the Yankees are involved.

But that little back-and-forth could change soon, as Joe Giradi said before last night’s game that Jeter could possibly be moved out of the leadoff spot:

“I might (move Gardner to the leadoff spot),” Girardi said. “He’s going so well, it’s something I’ll definitely consider. Just wait and see what happens.”

That should calm everyone down.  Right?

1. deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:17 AM

Seriously, if the Yankees brass aren’t at least considering it, they aren’t doing their jobs. I don’t think managers should make panic moves and constantly juggle lineups, but if something isn’t working, you have to do something. Besides, maybe moving him down in the lineup will do him some good.

• pjmarn6 - Jul 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I remember when baseball games were free to watch on tv and hear on radio and seats were reasonably priced. Now we have $2000 seats at yankee stadium, no free radio or tv and players get multimillion dollar salaries for hitting .250 or having 5.00 era. How has this enourmous increase in salaries and forced payment to hear or watch the game benefitted the fan? What value extra has been added to the game to legitmatize this?

• bigyankeemike - Jul 21, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Ok I’m giving myself a headache trying to figure out what the above comment by “pjmarn6″ has to do with Jeter in the leadoff spot.

2. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Then I guess Jeter would bat second and everyone would slide down a spot? Or would Joey G have the balls to bat Jeter 9th?????

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:21 AM

The only way I see him dropping to 2nd is if they also drop Texieria to 5th or 6th and drop Grandy to 3rd. Otherwise, he needs to be somewhere between 7-9.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I believe Craig’s Twitter feed would literally explode if Jeter were to be moved to somewhere between 7-9.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Twitter feed? I would worry about his head exploding.

3. uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM

The change would be a welcome one. With Gardener leading off. The problem and I hope Girardi doesn’t make it is inserting Jeter in the #2 spot. Granderson has been doing great batting near the top of the order and should remain there. Ideally Jeter needs to be moved closer to the bottom of the line up not just out of the lead off spot and into 2nd. My preference for a Yankees batting order would be:
    Gardner
    Granderson
    Tex (although I would prefer Cano here, but that’s a conversation for another day)
    A-Rod
    Cano (see above comment. Tex would be my preference here.
    Swisher
    Jeter
    Chavez or Nunez (depending on the opposing pitcher, anybody but Posada DH’ing)
    Martin

But, since Girardi hasn’t asked for my opinion I’m sure this is a line up we will never see.

4. yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM

[Sung to the the tune of My Darlin' Clementine]

Oh my beep-beep-
    Oh my beep-beep
    Oh my beep-beep-pal o’ mine
    You are lost and gone forever
    Try out batting number 9

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Looks like we did it again, my friend.

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:31 AM

And batting him number two is solving the wrong problem and will make my head explode!

6. yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:34 AM

How about we make him DH and move the Yankees to the NL?

7. pisano - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Long over due, (dropping him in the order) I agree with deathmonkey41, 7th to 9th. While we’re on the subject of the line up what do they do with Posada? if he’s not striking out with runners in scoring position he’s apt to hit into double plays.Then we get to Andruw Jones, how they keep this guy is beyond belief, he had one run to get his average over the Mendoza line. Clearly if the Yankees want to win that division they have to make some changes or the wild card and first round exit will be the best they can do.The time is now to get some productive blood in the line up.

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

pisano, how are you doing today my friend?

• pisano - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

uyf1950….. very well my friend. I like your line up and I wish Joe would read these posts it might give him some insight as to how real Yankee fans feel about the team.I’m hoping for a productive bat and maybe pitching help before the deadline. We’ll see how it goes, I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

• nolanwiffle - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

If Girardi is reading blogs looking for assistance from “real Yankee fans” in filling out his line-up card…..I’m prepared to give the Sox the division title today.

8. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

A-Rod is out for a while still, right? Looking at last night’s line-up if Jeter is moved out of the lead-off spot, which I doubt he will just move from quietly, why wouldn’t the 1-7 in the lineup be…

Gardner
    Jeter
    Granderson
    Cano
    Tex
    Swisher
    Martin

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Why not just take Jeter in your scenario and move him below Martin and just move everyone one else up? Moving Jeter from 1st to 2nd in the order really accomplishes nothing positive for the Yankees except it makes Jeter feel good. The Yankees should be in the business on winning, not making a player who is in the twilight of his career feel good when it hurts the overall teams effort. That’s just my opinion.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:45 AM

Nope, Chris, won’t work. Gardner will get on and before he can steal second beep-beep will hit into the easiest double play you’ve ever seen, the Granderson and Cano might get on and Tex will do a sacrifice fly with two outs which never scores many runs.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Well, gentlemen, the reason why is quite simple…if you move Jeter to 7th, he will not be happy. I agree that “the best thing for the lineup” would be to move Jeter to the 7th hole. But he won’t like that. Not one bit. And an unhappy Jeter is not good for the team. That’s just my opinion. Maybe El Capitan gladly moves to the 7 spot. But do any of you really believe that will happen?

Right or Wrong(definitely wrong IMHO) the fact is that Derek Jeter is the most important person…not player…PERSON in the Yankees organization. Anybody who thinks otherwise is nuts!!!!

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:07 AM

Then I plead guilty. I’m nuts.

• Old Gator - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I cannot imagine a world in which Derek Jeter is unahppy.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM

OK uyf…we’ll see. I am probably the crazy one, but I highly doubt we will see Jetes batting lower than 6th this year. I don’t think there is any way Joey G wants to start a war with Jeter. I really don’t. I think the guys in Tampa would have to sign off on something like that, and I don’t think they would do it.

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Chris, just because the Yankees won’t or aren’t willing to move Jeter way down in the line up that doesn’t make him the most important person in the Yankees organization. It just makes them blind to the reality of Jeters current contributions on the field to the team. That’s just my opinion.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:25 AM

“But he won’t like that. Not one bit. And an unhappy Jeter is not good for the team.”

Yeah, but after the game he gets to go home and doink Minka Kelly- how unhappy could he possibly be?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM

uyf, I disagree with you that it doesn’t make Jeter the most important person in the organization and here’s why. Posada went nuts when he was dropped in the lineup and the organization backed Joey G. If the same thing happened with Jeter, my opinion is that he would win the battle with the manager. As a matter of fact, I believe this is all moot because I think this is a decision from up high, and it will never happen without the blessing of ownership. To me, that makes him the most important person in the organization right now, because he is affecting both the on-field play and the front-office. That’s all I was trying to say. If Jeter wants to keep leading off, I don’t think there’s any way he won’t for the rest of this year.

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Chris, doesn’t your latest reply disprove your theory about Jeter. That is unless you don’t consider “higher ups or ownership” part of the organization. Because I do. If they have the ultimate decision as you suggest then obviously they are the most important people/person in the organization, in my opinion.
        The thing I will admit I don’t believe Girardi has it in his power to move Jeter below 2nd spot and certainly below the 6th slot in the line up at least as you say for this year. Next year I think is and will be a whole different story. Especially if Gardner and Granderson continue to have the types of a year they are currently having.

• obpedmypants - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM

if jeter is such an upstanding and admirable player and leader, then shouldn’t he be willing to do whatever is necessary to make his team better? i mean, that’s why yankee nation loves him, right?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, I guess I agree that he’s not above Hank, but I think he is above everyone else, including Cashman. If Jeter doesnt want to move, then I dont think there is anything Brian or Joe can do, other than start a war. One which I don’t think they will win.

• yankeesjetsknicksrangers - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:23 AM

1 Gardy L
      2 Jeter R
      3 Cano L
      4 Tex S
      5 Grandy L
      6 Swisher S
      7 Martin R
      Drop Grandy down the lineup to break up the lefty’s and add some power.

9. dailyrev - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Never mind me, I’m just a refugee from the golf page looking for a meaningful sports story. Imagine the Yankees firing their equipment manager and it making headline news — now you know what’s going on in golf today.

Oh, Jeter should be the table-setter for the best bottom third of a lineup in all of beisbol.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Um, welcome aboard…but Tiger firing his long-time caddie is more akin to the Yankees firing Cashman and Gerardi on the same day.

• dailyrev - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:34 AM

A very bizarre metaphor, but I’ll leave it there. Changing swing coaches is a far bigger deal than dropping a looper. I could carry a bag and read from a yardage book; changing the most famous swing in a game’s era is a different matter. No, the Tiger-Steve thing is 95% gossip and 5% story. As usual, our media have that bass ackwards.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:44 AM

I just think there isn’t much out there for a golfer…you have a caddie, an agent, a swing coach. I think the caddie, who is in the spotlight more than either of the other two, is the bigger story when he is fired/replaced. That’s why this is such a huge issue. Especially since this guy was Tiger’s caddie for 12 years…the best man at his wedding. I also find it absolutely hilarious that the same people who said this guy was nothing but a jerk while he was Tiger’s caddie now say he is so classy. Bleh. Williams was always nothing more than a bullying a-hole and always will be no matter who he caddies for.

10. tuftsb - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I salute Jeter’s career accomplishments. However, # 2 is now as the equivalent of U2. They both had their day, now they are annoying daily reminders that they used to be good.

11. 18thstreet - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:52 AM

As a Red Sox fan and long-time Jeter-mocker, I have a hard time understanding how the Yankees are scoring all those runs. Is Joe Girardi a witch?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Rhymes with one.

12. paperlions - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:53 AM

So….what I am hearing is that 1) the Yankees rotation is in shambles with CC and a box of chocolates rotation, 2) the bullpen has been decimated by injuries, and 3) the lineup has a bunch of holes in it with Jeter, Posada/Jones, and Martin.

The Yankees must have a horrible record then, huh? Are they going to be sellers at the trade deadline?

Wait, what? They have the 3rd best record in baseball while playing in the toughest division? Oh.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM

They’re not a terrible team and should certainly make the playoffs (maybe even as division champs)- but IMO, I don’t think they have a shot at beating the Red Sox or Phillies in the playoffs/WS without some tinkering and additions via trade.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:31 AM

That’s about right. One of the perks of Yankee fandom is playing “Weakest Link” all the time. We have a dipsy dumpster ready for the least sign of poor performance.
      Remember our credo: “We have the weight of the Universe on our shoulders”

13. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Here’s a better idea. Since that brain-deadening digital grapevine called Twitter, with its perpetual vomit of fractional thoughts and bellyaching, is siphoning off all your commentators from this blog, why not just shut the damned thing off, put a stop to its mindless distractions, and direct your correspondents over here instead?

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM

How is Craig gonna become King of All Media II doin’ THAT?

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Craig’s no King of All Media clone- he doesn’t have a Bababooey and he certainly doesn’t have a Beetlejuice at his disposal.

14. funkygoorilla - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:06 AM

So then Gardner will get on, and Jeter will hit into a double play? Yeah, the opposing teams are going to love this one.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Um, isn’t that how it works when Gardner bats 9th anyway???

• funkygoorilla - Jul 21, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Ha ha touche! I guess I try not to think of all possibilities.

15. deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I’m not sure who remembers this, but at one time, a certain Donald Arthur Mattingly, who was the beloved, mustached face of the franchise, graciously stepped out of the hallowed three hole to make way for a younger slugger named Paul O’Neill and the rest was history. I recall O’Neill talking about the situation and he had felt so badly about it that he went up to Mattingly to apologize and explain that he wasn’t campaigning to be moved into his spot, but Mattingly only waved him off and said, “The only thing I don’t understand is why it took them so long to make the move.” Hopefully Jeter can follow Donnie Baseball’s classy example if and when this change takes place.

16. uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 11:59 AM

To yankeesfanlen – here is a link I thought you might enjoy reading it’s about Gardner and this this blog is about Jeter’s place in the order it ultimately is also about Gardner. Anyway here it is:

• uyf1950 - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM

oops. “and since ths blog…” Sorry for the above mistake.

17. yournuts - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Is it some sort of honor to be the leadoff hitter? Is it mystical? The idea is having 9 players in your lineup contributing and giving yourself the best opportunity to WIN. The Yankees are 57 and 38. Nineteen games above 500. We have been banged up all season, we have lost Soriano, Chamberlain, Rodriguez, Chavez, Damasco Marte, Phil Hughes, Pedro Feliciano, These are all on the 60 day or more DL. Were doing fine, what a job everybody has done filling in and making this a team effort. I trust Joe Girardi a lot more than I trust you bloggers telling me what you aTHINK is in the best interest of the Yankees and what their batting order should be.

Get a grip of your selves. We are 1 game in the lost column and it is the end of July. This is a great season considering the contributions that Colon, Garcia, Nunez and Granderson have given this club. So Jeter is not hitting, neither is Tex. Look where were at? It is impressive.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Feliciano? Chavez? Marte? Oh the devastation….. ;)

• yournuts - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:18 PM

It is devestation. Two left handed pitchers and Eric Chavez was batting 303 when he broke his foot. As a back up 3rd baseman I would rather have Eric Chavez in there as a back up and bat off the bench. Huge losses.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 1:28 PM

I know you’re busting nuts, but Marte was actually a very underrated piece of the World Series puzzle in ’09. Kept all those left-handed Phillies bats quiet late in games.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Yeah, and last year, Marte pitched 17 innings to a 4.08 ERA. Sure, in ’09 he was good. And in ’08 Lidge was great…perfect. Does that mean I get to say that the Phillies have the best record in baseball despite being devastated by the Lidge injury? LOL.

• deathmonkey41 - Jul 21, 2011 at 2:39 PM

No, but only because this is an odd-numbered year and Lidge is only good in the even ones.

18. Elwood Larf - Jul 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Even if he does move him out of the leadoff spot, he’s only going to drop him to second, where he spent most of his career anyway. He’s not going to move to the lower 3rd of the order where he belongs, because in the Bronx, your name is what determines your lineup spot, not your numbers.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5458)