Jul 21, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
Phillies starter Joe Blanton landed on the disabled list in mid-May with inflammation in his right elbow.
He’s had numerous setbacks since, and now word comes from Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that the right-hander is headed back to Philadelphia to have the elbow examined by team physicians.
Blanton has already paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews, who did not recommend surgery, and he’s undergone a wide range of tests on the elbow, including an ultrasound. But the lack of improvement continues, and is only getting more worrisome.
Blanton, 30, had a 5.50 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in six starts before the elbow problems creeped up on him. The Phillies, meanwhile, have been getting excellent production from fill-in fifth starter Vance Worley.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)