Jul 21, 2011, 7:32 PM EST
Phillies starter Joe Blanton landed on the disabled list in mid-May with inflammation in his right elbow.
He’s had numerous setbacks since, and now word comes from Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that the right-hander is headed back to Philadelphia to have the elbow examined by team physicians.
Blanton has already paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews, who did not recommend surgery, and he’s undergone a wide range of tests on the elbow, including an ultrasound. But the lack of improvement continues, and is only getting more worrisome.
Blanton, 30, had a 5.50 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in six starts before the elbow problems creeped up on him. The Phillies, meanwhile, have been getting excellent production from fill-in fifth starter Vance Worley.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)