Jul 21, 2011, 7:32 PM EDT
Phillies starter Joe Blanton landed on the disabled list in mid-May with inflammation in his right elbow.
He’s had numerous setbacks since, and now word comes from Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that the right-hander is headed back to Philadelphia to have the elbow examined by team physicians.
Blanton has already paid a visit to Dr. James Andrews, who did not recommend surgery, and he’s undergone a wide range of tests on the elbow, including an ultrasound. But the lack of improvement continues, and is only getting more worrisome.
Blanton, 30, had a 5.50 ERA and 1.57 WHIP in six starts before the elbow problems creeped up on him. The Phillies, meanwhile, have been getting excellent production from fill-in fifth starter Vance Worley.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 54
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 31
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 8
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)