Jul 21, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Or at least that’s the official reason manager Ozzie Guillen gave for sitting Dunn, although “we faced lefties in both games and Dunn can’t hit them to save his life” would have been a sufficient explanation. Dunn is 2-for-64 versus southpaws this season.
Doug Padilla of ESPN Chicago writes that Guillen didn’t even know which knee was bothering Dunn, speculating that the injury may simply be a way for the White Sox to get him out of the lineup and on to the disabled list for an extended break.
Chicago is off today and for now Dunn is scheduled to rejoin the lineup tomorrow, but there’s a DH alternative crushing the ball at Triple-A, where 22-year-old Dayan Viciedo is hitting .311 with 16 homers, 24 doubles, and an .876 OPS.
Of course, getting Dunn on the DL and Viciedo into the lineup would be a short-term solution for a long-term problem, as he’s under contract for $14 million in 2012 and $15 million in both 2013 and 2014. Assuming he doesn’t retire, that it.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights