Jul 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Brandon Inge has said he’ll accept a demotion to the minors after being designated for assignment by the Tigers following yesterday’s trade for Wilson Betemit, but now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins are “looking at” Inge.
According to Frisaro “the Marlins have made it clear that they are seeking veteran experience at third base.” Inge certainly fits that description, but he’s also hitting .177 this season and has batted a combined .226 with a .307 on-base percentage and .375 slugging in 638 games since 2007.
Frisaro points out that Detroit is looking for bullpen help, hinting that Florida closer Leo Nunez could be a fit, but between Inge’s terrible production and $5.5 million salary for 2012 the Marlins would have to be insane to make that swap. At this point the 34-year-old Inge has negative value. If the Marlins want Inge they could have him for nothing, but presumably they’re smart enough to at least make the Tigers eat some of that money.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)