Jul 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EST
Brandon Inge has said he’ll accept a demotion to the minors after being designated for assignment by the Tigers following yesterday’s trade for Wilson Betemit, but now Joe Frisaro of MLB.com reports that the Marlins are “looking at” Inge.
According to Frisaro “the Marlins have made it clear that they are seeking veteran experience at third base.” Inge certainly fits that description, but he’s also hitting .177 this season and has batted a combined .226 with a .307 on-base percentage and .375 slugging in 638 games since 2007.
Frisaro points out that Detroit is looking for bullpen help, hinting that Florida closer Leo Nunez could be a fit, but between Inge’s terrible production and $5.5 million salary for 2012 the Marlins would have to be insane to make that swap. At this point the 34-year-old Inge has negative value. If the Marlins want Inge they could have him for nothing, but presumably they’re smart enough to at least make the Tigers eat some of that money.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)