Jul 21, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
Trevor Gretzky, son of The Great One, has picked the Cubs over San Diego State, that according to Aztecs coach Tony Gwynn.
“We heard he signed with the Cubs on Monday,” Gwynn told the Toronto Sun on Thursday.
The Cubs have yet to confirm the signing, which is sure to be for considerably more than slot money. MLB is often hesitant to improve such deals until just before the Aug. 15 deadline.
The largest bonus given to a seventh-round pick so far this year was $200,000 from the Mets to first baseman Cole Frenzel. The Cubs might be in that same neighborhood with Gretzky.
Of course, unlike a lot of draft picks, Trevor Gretzky doesn’t really need the money. As a first baseman at Oaks Christian in California, he wore the same number 99 his father did throughout his hockey career. Since finances weren’t an issue, many thought he would choose college over the pros.
“Our scouts conveyed to him this wasn’t a PR move,” Cubs GM Jim Hendry told the Chicago Tribune last month. “There can be a burden having a famous father but we won’t make him feel like he’s Wayne Gretzky’s son. He’s his own young man. We wanted Trevor. Our scouts had him going a few rounds higher.”
At 6-foot-4, Trevor Gretzky gets pretty good reviews for his power potential, but he’s even more of a project than most high schoolers. He probably won’t be assigned to a full-season league until 2013.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 41
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)