Jul 21, 2011, 11:35 AM EDT
According to a person with knowledge of the Giants’ thinking, San Francisco’s current position is that it is willing to assume most or all of the $6 million owed to Beltran for the remainder of the season, but does not want to part with a high-end prospect in exchange for a half-season rental. The Mets, as we know, are holding out for talent, and are willing to pay the salary.
After all that stuff that was buzzing around at the All-Star break, I sort of figured that the Giants would be the front runner, but I guess that falls to Philly now. Or Atlanta, I suppose, though I’m struggling to see Frank Wren make a big move like that. This is the same guy, after all, who traded for Rick Ankiel and Kyle Farnsworth last summer and thought he had raised hell.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (132)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)