Jul 21, 2011, 4:35 PM EDT
On June 19th, the Mariners were a half game out of first place. As late as June 27th they were only two games out. Now: they’ve lost twelve games in a row — this one 7-5 to the Blue Jays — and stand 13 games out of first place. Their season is in ruins and, for all intents and purposes, over.
The latest loss came despite a grand slam from Miquel Olivo which tied the game up at five in the top of the eighth and gave the M’s their first bit of momentum in God knows how long. But then in the bottom of the inning, Rajai Davis hit an RBI double and that was that. Jon Rauch closed out the game for the Jays.
The scary part: Seattle now goes on to Boston and New York, where the chances seem pretty good for that losing streak to be extended.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)