Jul 21, 2011, 4:35 PM EST
On June 19th, the Mariners were a half game out of first place. As late as June 27th they were only two games out. Now: they’ve lost twelve games in a row — this one 7-5 to the Blue Jays — and stand 13 games out of first place. Their season is in ruins and, for all intents and purposes, over.
The latest loss came despite a grand slam from Miquel Olivo which tied the game up at five in the top of the eighth and gave the M’s their first bit of momentum in God knows how long. But then in the bottom of the inning, Rajai Davis hit an RBI double and that was that. Jon Rauch closed out the game for the Jays.
The scary part: Seattle now goes on to Boston and New York, where the chances seem pretty good for that losing streak to be extended.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)