Jul 21, 2011, 8:03 PM EDT
Feeling that not getting enough work in the offseason led to his slow start, Ubaldo Jimenez said Thursday that he’s hoping to pitch winter ball.
Surprisingly enough, the Rockies are on board with Jimenez’s plan to pitch for the Licey Tigers this winter. Jimenez indicated that he’d likely only make a handful of starts, possibly just four.
Jimenez pitched for Licey prior to the 2010 season that he started off 15-1 for the Rockies. He was the NL’s starting pitcher in the All-Star Game that year and finished 19-8 with a 2.88 ERA.
After taking the winter off, Jimenez opened this season winless in his first nine starts. His ERA remained over 6.00 into mid-May, but he has been much better since, going 6-3 with a 2.58 ERA since the beginning of June.
Of course, while Jimenez’s December stint in the Dominican Republic looks like a go for now, things could change if the Rockies decide to trade him or if he suffers an arm injury at some point within the next couple of months. Teams tend to be shy even when it comes to letting veteran position players take part in winter ball. Veteran pitchers typically have a very difficult time getting clearance, since teams don’t like them working in games unless they can monitor them themselves.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 19
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)