Jul 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
I don’t write too many straight game recaps outside of And That Happened, but this one — a 6-2 win by the Cards over the Mets — struck me for a couple of reasons.
First, because it may very well have been Carlos Beltran‘s last game as a Met in Citi Field. The Mets go on the road now, and won’t be back until August first, which is after the trade deadline. Beltran got a warm reception from the New York crowd, most of whom later denied spending the last several years blaming him for all of the team’s problems. That was nice of them.
Also notable was just how quick a game it was. It lasted only two hours and seven minutes. Which, given its 12:10 start time, had it ending before I really realized it had begun. This must be what it feels like to live on the west coast.
The speed of this one had a lot to do with Jake Westbrook, who allowed only two runs on four hits over eight innings, getting 17 outs on grounders. An Albert Pujols two-run homer in the first set the offensive tone, and the Cards never trailed.
Next up: the Cards go face the frisky Pirates. My guess: Pittsburgh starts to get exposed this weekend. For the Mets: trading deadline or bust.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 0
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 16
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 50
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 62
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 30
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 93
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)