Jul 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EST
I don’t write too many straight game recaps outside of And That Happened, but this one — a 6-2 win by the Cards over the Mets — struck me for a couple of reasons.
First, because it may very well have been Carlos Beltran‘s last game as a Met in Citi Field. The Mets go on the road now, and won’t be back until August first, which is after the trade deadline. Beltran got a warm reception from the New York crowd, most of whom later denied spending the last several years blaming him for all of the team’s problems. That was nice of them.
Also notable was just how quick a game it was. It lasted only two hours and seven minutes. Which, given its 12:10 start time, had it ending before I really realized it had begun. This must be what it feels like to live on the west coast.
The speed of this one had a lot to do with Jake Westbrook, who allowed only two runs on four hits over eight innings, getting 17 outs on grounders. An Albert Pujols two-run homer in the first set the offensive tone, and the Cards never trailed.
Next up: the Cards go face the frisky Pirates. My guess: Pittsburgh starts to get exposed this weekend. For the Mets: trading deadline or bust.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 17
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 49
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)