Jul 21, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
I don’t write too many straight game recaps outside of And That Happened, but this one — a 6-2 win by the Cards over the Mets — struck me for a couple of reasons.
First, because it may very well have been Carlos Beltran‘s last game as a Met in Citi Field. The Mets go on the road now, and won’t be back until August first, which is after the trade deadline. Beltran got a warm reception from the New York crowd, most of whom later denied spending the last several years blaming him for all of the team’s problems. That was nice of them.
Also notable was just how quick a game it was. It lasted only two hours and seven minutes. Which, given its 12:10 start time, had it ending before I really realized it had begun. This must be what it feels like to live on the west coast.
The speed of this one had a lot to do with Jake Westbrook, who allowed only two runs on four hits over eight innings, getting 17 outs on grounders. An Albert Pujols two-run homer in the first set the offensive tone, and the Cards never trailed.
Next up: the Cards go face the frisky Pirates. My guess: Pittsburgh starts to get exposed this weekend. For the Mets: trading deadline or bust.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)