Jul 21, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
Lost in Ozzie Guillen’s postgame rant last night is that the White Sox learned they’ll be without backup catcher Ramon Castro for 8-12 weeks due to the broken right hand and index finger he suffered on July 9.
Buehrle immediately realized Castro was hurt and, as he put it: “Had to turn around because I would’ve fainted if I looked at it too long.”
A.J. Pierzynski is the White Sox’s primary catcher, but Castro started 20 of the first 91 games while typically taking Pierzynski’s place versus left-handed pitching. Tyler Flowers will now assume that role and the one-time top prospect has impressive offensive numbers at Triple-A, but his defense has never drawn strong reviews and he hit just .203 versus southpaws there.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 22
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 34
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 35
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 32
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)