Jul 21, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen isn’t the only member of the White Sox’s coaching staff on edge these days, as pitching coach Don Cooper angrily hung up during a radio interview this morning when he was asked why the team hasn’t called up Dayan Viciedo from Triple-A.
Cooper is paid to do the weekly phone interview, but the Chicago Tribune describes how things got ugly:
I have no clue about that. I’m a coach,” Cooper fumed during his session on “The Mully & Hanley Show” on WSCR-AM 670. “Do I feel like something [needs to be done]? Yeah, we have to score some runs. That’s what’s got to be done. And if we do, we have a chance to win. And if we don’t, we won’t.
Nice try, asking me to bring up [bleeping] Viciedo. I not in charge of making moves, I’m in charge of coaching. When host Brian Hanley told Cooper that he wasn’t trying to put him on the spot, Cooper hung up.
Cooper’s tantrum follows Guillen’s postgame freakout last night and speculation that the White Sox may try to put Adam Dunn on the disabled list with a questionable knee injury in order to get him out of the lineup and call up Viciedo.
Chicago is in third place at 47-51 and Minnesota is in fourth place at 46-51, yet the White Sox appear to be coming apart at the seams and the Twins are doing everything they can not to start printing playoff tickets.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)