Jul 21, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen isn’t the only member of the White Sox’s coaching staff on edge these days, as pitching coach Don Cooper angrily hung up during a radio interview this morning when he was asked why the team hasn’t called up Dayan Viciedo from Triple-A.
Cooper is paid to do the weekly phone interview, but the Chicago Tribune describes how things got ugly:
I have no clue about that. I’m a coach,” Cooper fumed during his session on “The Mully & Hanley Show” on WSCR-AM 670. “Do I feel like something [needs to be done]? Yeah, we have to score some runs. That’s what’s got to be done. And if we do, we have a chance to win. And if we don’t, we won’t.
Nice try, asking me to bring up [bleeping] Viciedo. I not in charge of making moves, I’m in charge of coaching. When host Brian Hanley told Cooper that he wasn’t trying to put him on the spot, Cooper hung up.
Cooper’s tantrum follows Guillen’s postgame freakout last night and speculation that the White Sox may try to put Adam Dunn on the disabled list with a questionable knee injury in order to get him out of the lineup and call up Viciedo.
Chicago is in third place at 47-51 and Minnesota is in fourth place at 46-51, yet the White Sox appear to be coming apart at the seams and the Twins are doing everything they can not to start printing playoff tickets.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)