Jul 22, 2011, 3:47 PM EST
Marmol walked two batters in a scoreless inning against the Phillies on Monday, but also recorded two strikeouts after failing to strike out a single hitter in any of his previous six outings, which is obviously a huge red flag for the all-time leader in single-season strikeout rate.
Along with the lack of strikeouts Marmol has walked eight of the last 17 batters he’s faced, but Carrie Muskat of MLB.com reports that pitching coach Mark Riggins is confident they have his mechanics straightened out after some side sessions.
Marmol has 19 saves on the season, but leads the league with seven blown saves and hasn’t successfully converted a save since July 9.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 155
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 17
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (91)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (81)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)