Jul 22, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
Brandon Webb hasn’t pitched in the majors since Opening Day of 2009, undergoing shoulder surgery that August and experiencing multiple setbacks on the road to recovery.
And now he’s going under the knife again, with Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas reporting that the former Cy Young winner will have rotator cuff surgery on August 1.
That rules him out for the remainder of this season and most it not all of 2012, and Webb’s inability to stay healthy and rediscover his lost velocity nearly two years after his initial surgery makes it hard to imagine him bouncing back quickly from another operation.
Webb debuted as a 24-year-old in 2003 and the ground-ball machine posted ERAs of 2.84, 3.59, 3.54, 3.10, 3.01, and 3.30 in his first six seasons, winning a Cy Young award in 2006 and finishing runner-up in both 2007 and 2008. And now there’s a chance he may have thrown his final big-league pitch at age 30. What a shame.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)