Jul 22, 2011, 5:42 AM EDT
Padres 5, Marlins 3: Cameron Maybin sweeps the Marlins. Really, he did it all in this series, battering his old team to the tune of 9-for-14 with three RBI, five runs and five stolen bases, including a 4 for 5 day in this one.
Angels 1, Rangers 0: A tough luck loss for C.J. Wilson, who allowed only two hits over eight innings but had an unearned run score when a fly ball that should have been caught just bounced off Endy Chavez‘s glove in the second inning. Jered Weaver, Scott Downs and Jordan Walden combined to shut out the Rangers, error-free.
Braves 9, Rockies 6: Brooks Conrad, Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman each homered to help the Braves salvage a split. Conrad also used his God-given-grit to break up a double play, allowing another run to score. All combined to give cover to Tommy Hanson who kind of got beat around but got the win anyway.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 38
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 69
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 121
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (132)
- Fox’s World Series broadcast gets a low grade from The New York Times (110)