And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jul 22, 2011, 5:42 AM EDT

Cameron Maybin AP

Padres 5, Marlins 3: Cameron Maybin sweeps the Marlins. Really, he did it all in this series, battering his old team to the tune of 9-for-14 with three RBI, five runs and five stolen bases, including a 4 for 5 day in this one.

Angels 1, Rangers 0: A tough luck loss for C.J. Wilson, who allowed only two hits over eight innings but had an unearned run score when a fly ball that should have been caught just bounced off Endy Chavez‘s glove in the second inning. Jered Weaver, Scott Downs and Jordan Walden combined to shut out the Rangers, error-free.

Braves 9, Rockies 6: Brooks Conrad, Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman each homered to help the Braves salvage a split. Conrad also used his God-given-grit to break up a double play, allowing another run to score. All combined to give cover to Tommy Hanson who kind of got beat around but got the win anyway.

Blue Jays 7, Mariners 5: I hit this one up yesterday. Twelve in a row down the terlet for Seattle.

Cardinals 6, Mets 2: I hit this one up yesterday too. Farewell to Citi Field Carlos Beltran.

Rays 2, Yankees 1: James Shields and CC Sabathia both looked pretty good, but Sabathia gave up a couple of big hits. Yankees fans then got to enjoy Kyle Farnsworth closing it out for the save.

Tigers 6, Twins 2: The Tigers continue to own the Twins. Justin Verlander struck out nine in eight innings, allowing a single run and Jhonny Peralta drove in three.

Diamondbacks 4, Brewers 0: Ian Kennedy wins his third in a row and 11th on the year, allowing four hits in seven shutout innings.

1. joshftw - Jul 22, 2011 at 5:57 AM

Wait, when did Kyle Farnsworth become competent under pressure?
    With the Yankees he could barely throw a strike without a five-run lead.

• hittfamily - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:17 AM

Apparently $270,000,000 can’t buy a decent pitching coach. I can’t begin to count how many scrap heap pitchers show up to the Rays and finally put it together. Unfortunately, hitters are another story.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jul 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I would give some credit to the Rays defense too. The Yankees were not a good defensive team in Krazy Kyle’s tenure…

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Are the Rangers cooling off? We will find out as the red hot Jays visit Arlington this weekend.

• hittfamily - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Chuck Norris’ eyelids may cause sonic booms when he blinks, but he cant make the Walker Texas Rangers bats come alive.

• hittfamily - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Come on Craig. Shields goes 7 2/3 3 hit baseball agianst the number 2 offense in baseball. He didn’t give up an xbh til he was over 100 pitches, and he only gets a “pretty good” rating.

You have high standards.

3. kiwicricket - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:43 AM

I’m going to try put this as polite as possible….Is C.C the heaviest pitcher in history?

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:34 AM

According to MLB.com Jon Rauch and CC weigh in at 290 lbs each. Of course Rauch has got an extra 4 inches to spread that weight around on.

However, neither matches Walter “Jumbo” Brown, who measured in at a svelte 6’4″, 295.

Heaviest MLB player was the briefly orioled Walter Young, at 6’5″, 322

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:35 AM

Of course, this all assumes that the posted weights are accurate, and not “estimates”.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:40 AM

C.C.’s weight? No man can say.

• kiwicricket - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Exactly! ‘Estimate’ indeed. C.C is 6’7 and physically obese. I’m not used to working in pounds, but my ‘estimate’ would be….. HEEAAAPPS!

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM

Yeah, but C.C. only weighs around 50 pounds…on the moon.

• professor59 - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:50 AM

David Wells had to be right up there. He was a blob.

• cogitobaseballergosum - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

Close enough. He’s also well on his way to 300 wins and HOF credentials. He’s proven to be one of the most durable pitchers in the game, and is consistently in the AL top 5 in innings pitched and complete games. So I’m going to try to put this as polite(ly) as possible….Who cares?

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Maybe we should start a poll, which will CC have more of at the end of his career, wins or pounds.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:22 AM

“well on his way to 300 wins…”

I don’t know about that. If he ends up with 20 this year, he’ll end the season with 176 being 31 years old. Even if he wins 20 a year for the next SIX years, he’ll be at 296. At 37. With his weight, I doubt he can keep up that consistency for the next 6 years. Plus every year will contain an extra 20-40 innings with the post season. And he’s already been averaging like 235-240 innings during the regular season.

Could he do it? Sure. But gun to my head, I would say he won’t make it to 300.

• kiwicricket - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Everyone thinks he’s a great pitcher. Lighten up.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Hahaha…saying “lighten up” when talking about Cap’n Crunch….

• cogitobaseballergosum - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:29 PM

Chris, I look at it a little differently. First, a minor point, he’ll most likely win more than 20 this year, he’s currently on pace for 23-24. 23 would leave him at 177. Given his proven durability, and the recent trend of good pitchers’ longevity, I think it’s reasonable that he pitches at least to age 40, or 9 more seasons. Averaging about 14 wins over 9 seasons gets him the 123 wins needed. Even if he only averaged 17 wins over the next 5 seasons, that leaves him at about 262 by age 36, certainly a managable position.

I understand you’re assuming he’ll wear down because of the high IP, but if he was going to be prone to that happening, he probably would have shown it by now. Most pitchers who break down due to overuse, do so prior to age 30. CC’s mechanics are extremely sound, which helps a lot. He seems to be one of those freaks of nature, like Nolan Ryan, who can throw and throw and throw without showing ill-effects.

My main point, however, is that CC’s weight has not hindered him from being one the best pitchers in baseball.

4. kiwicricket - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM

And on a side note…what was with the night crew last evening??? ‘Spud’ and co. were utterly mauled by hundreds of humourless Luke Scott relatives. It was incredible!

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I think they were mauled by just one cache-clearing pro-birther

5. yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Well that was a useless (.500) road trip for the Universe. Grandy wins a game by himself Wednesday and is too beat up to play, so I can only thank Beep-beep and Cano for at least hitting doubles, probably without permission from Joe, who wants everyone to be Cigar Store Indians and take BBs. Although that somehow worked Monday.
    If you don’t have them too psyched out Joe could we PLEASE hit something, at home, against A’s, M’s, and O’s??PLEASE?????

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Len, I would say that finishing .500 on an 8 game road trip against two tough division rivals isn’t such a bad thing. I know you guys think the Yankees should be 96-0 right now, but to call that .500 road trip useless is pretty harsh. Now if they went out to K.C., SEA, and OAK and finished .500, I would agree that it was pretty useless. But 4 against the Jays and 4 against the Rays is a tough 8 game stretch over 8 days.

Did I just defend the Yankees? Time for another shower…

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Chris, you really want the Borg back in October badly, dontcha?

• kiwicricket - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Hang on…hang on…hang on…. Did you just write: “I know you guys think the Yankees should be 96-0 right now, but to call that .500 road trip useless is pretty harsh…”
        Has someone hacked your account Chris?? :)

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Didn’t even call them the Yankers, Chris. Very thoughtful, and I hope we DO meet in Coctober.
        And I’m not being overly critical. By this time of year, against moderate and important divisional competition within our division, there will be a differnce between 4-for-8 and 5-for-8 (.625) Six runs per game are needed, Joe is acting like he’s already facing NL teams with these bunt and steal strategies.
        May I enroll you in the Secret Yankeefan Club? There’s a couple Phillie fans there already.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Len, I hate the Yankees more than any other team in all of organized sports. Because I am a closet Red Sox fan, I have hated them my entire life…even when I was a polygamist fan and rooted for two teams. This was always OK in baseball though, before interleague play started. Since then, I have had to root for the Phillies only…but the hate for the Yankees never ceased.

And just as I did with the Mets, I can’t really call them what I really think with them playing so well right now. Come playoff time…and especially if they meet in the World Series…they will be called the Yankers.

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 12:24 PM

THAT’S more like it, Chris.

6. lordstanleystan - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Shouldn’t we measure CC’s weight in boxes of cap’n crunch to be accurate?

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:15 AM

FYI, CC weighs 331.4 boxes of Cap’n Crunch.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM

give or take 5000 crunch berries….

toys not included.

7. Old Gator - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

What CC Sabbathia weighs is one thing. I wonder how much water he displaces.

Speaking of which, the Feesh royally crapped out in their series with the Padres. The peetching went south like the caribou herds in November, and the heeters followed them with their clubs, wikiups and rookies swaddled in rawhide bundles. Javy Vasquez scuffled early, whereupon the Curmudgeonly Undead ran him back out after a rain delay of a couple of hours, predictably to barf up a couple more. Here’s an interesting stat from the guts-and-heart department: when their opponents score first, the Feesh are a wretched 17-34.

In other marinated news, Mike Cameron, the “answer” at first base, is batting .148 but his VLQ (Veteran Leadership Quotient) of .347, though it lags behind Kindly Uncle Wes’ robust .204 BA, exceeds his .287 VLQ after only two weeks with the Feesh. The league VLQ leader, Jayson Werth, is hovering around .426, the latest in a season any underperforming veteran has held a VLQ in excess of .400 since 1926. Impressive.

• wlschneider09 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:51 AM

CC does not displace. He floats.

• Old Gator - Jul 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM

That’s funny. Most ballplayers cork their bats.

8. Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM

In Phillies news last night….
    Patron at restaurant quoted
    “Is mother f——….., Is Cliff Lee bringing me my damn steak?” Ok, wake me up…

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:04 AM

C’mon, Cliffy!!! I said medium RARE, not medium!!!!!! And where’s my baked spud(chukar) with butter and sour cream?!? Damn, man…THIS is what I get for $120million?!? WTF??

9. spudchukar - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:53 AM

One thing for sure C.C. does not stand for Counting Calories.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM

There’s a fine line between counting calories and not consuming them.

Final take away from World Series