Jul 22, 2011, 9:45 PM EDT
With Carlos Gomez‘s status in doubt for the rest of the season following a broken collarbone, the Brewers are actively seeking a replacement for their outfield.
Nyjer Morgan, a left-handed hitter, has taken over as the primary center fielder for the Brewers, but Gomez was getting most of the at-bats against left-handed pitching. Crisp, a switch-hitter, could be a decent fit as a platoon partner, as he has a .279/.331/.426 batting line and .757 OPS against southpaws for his career. And while he’s not quite the fielder Gomez is, he’s considered above average in center field. Crisp would certainly be a nice luxury in a part-time role, but it would seem that the Brewers have bigger needs at either shortstop or third base.
Entering play tonight, Crisp was batting .265/.315/.385 with four homers, 31 RBI and 27 stolen bases in 38 attempts. The 31-year-old will be a free agent following the season.
Jon Heyman of SI.com reported earlier this week that the Indians and Reds have also expressed interest in Crisp.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)