Jul 22, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Some details are emerging in connection with the arrests in the Bryan Stow case. Specifically, an anonymous law enforcement official is saying that the two men who were arrested yesterday made incriminating statements that implicated them in the attack. There was not, however, any forensic evidence against the men, so this could all be based on their confessions — if, indeed, these are confessions — and circumstantial evidence.
Charges are expected to be filed Monday. Which is awesome, but let us remember that the LAPD was confident that the last suspect — Giovanni Ramirez — was their man, and that turned out to be wrong. Even if they don’t waver on these two new suspects, you have to figure any decent defense lawyer would make much of the LAPD’s early uncertainty, thus making convictions far short of a sure thing.
In other news, this is interesting:
The family of the San Francisco Giants fan severely beaten outside Dodger Stadium says the hospitalized father of two appeared to mouth his last name and might have tried to give a thumbs-up.
Thin stuff to be sure, but if it’s something that gives the family hope, it’s good enough for me. Here’s hoping that good news continues to roll in.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)