Carlos Beltran doesn’t want to be a DH

Jul 22, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

beltran getty wide Getty Images

Trading Carlos Beltran depends a lot on Carlos Beltran, given his full no-trade clause.  And, as David Lennon of Newsday reports, Beltran may be prepared to use it if the Mets plan on trading him to certain types of teams.  Here’s Lennon:

… the most coveted outfielder on the trade market has told friends that he prefers to stay in the National League , according to people familiar with his situation. Beltran also told Newsday this week that two other critical factors will influence his decision — the quality of a team’s pitching staff and his aversion to being the DH.

He hasn’t ruled out a trade to the AL publicly, but doing so would make little sense for him because he’d just be painted as a pain in the butt if he did.  The only time where Beltran’s preferences truly matter are when the Mets approach him and he is forced to give the deal a yes or no vote. And, if Lennon’s sources are right, he may be far less willing to move to the junior circuit.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:55 AM

“the quality of a team’s pitching staff and his aversion to being the DH.”

Sounds to me like he’s narrowed his choices down to the Phillies, the Giants and the Braves.

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:57 AM

Well this kind of gives NL teams an upper hand I’d say. So, it would probably be the Braves and Phillies that are willing to give the most up for him too… Hmm? Muahahahahahaaaaa (thunder, lightning) hahahahahaaaaa. Sorry about that. I mean talk about interesting situation here….

3. hittfamily - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Why would he block a trade to any conteding playoff team. The post season he had with the Astros added another 40 million to his contract. A chance to go on the road and show you still have it should be enticing to him.

• kellyb9 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:29 AM

Any team that trades for him would be a contender, there’s no reason to trade for him otherwise. It’s not like he’s going to get a bigger contract once he’s traded, he’ll play out his existing contract. Good for him too… I think its smart getting that out there before the Mets go ahead and try to trade him to the AL.

• fquaye149 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:40 AM

I’ve heard a lot of players complain that it’s psychologically frustrating to DH. If they have a poor at bat they don’t get to go out in the field and jog arounda little, staying loose both physically and mentally. They have to wait in the dugout or btting cage until it’s their turn to hit again.

I’m not saying it’s ACTUALLY disadvantageous to DH but I think that is one of the main reasons you’ll hear players saying they don’t want to DH

4. The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I don’t understand why everybody’s so down on DHing. If my employer wanted to pay me a full wage to work only half the time, I’d be totally down with that.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Some guys fail at it, I guess if you play the game you don’t want to DH simply because you may get stuck doing it first of all, and the market for DH’s is becoming not such a sellers market anymore. DH values seem to be dropping where as OF are not. Of course I’m guessing though…

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM

Just ask Pat the Bat. He certainly loved his time in the Big Trop.

5. Joe - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:44 AM

Boston doesn’t need a DH, but they could use a right fielder. (Josh Reddick’s ~1.000 OPS notwithstanding.)

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto