Jul 22, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Guess he’s just fine. Uggla just hit a pinch-hit two-run homer off Reds’ right-hander Nick Masset to put the Braves ahead 6-4 in the top of the ninth.
8:01 PM: Dan Uggla is out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight day after straining his left calf during Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies.
The good news is that according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Uggla was able to hit off a tee and take batting practice before tonight’s game and hopes to get back in the lineup tomorrow.
“Hopefully it’ll be that much better tomorrow,” Uggla said. “And if it’s that much better tomorrow, I should be able to play on it.”
The injury was poorly timed for Uggla, who is batting .333 with five homers, four doubles and nine RBI during his current 12-game hitting streak. It’s been a frustrating first year in Atlanta for the slugging second baseman. Even with his recent hot streak, he’s still batting just .193 for the season.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 20
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)