Jul 22, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Guess he’s just fine. Uggla just hit a pinch-hit two-run homer off Reds’ right-hander Nick Masset to put the Braves ahead 6-4 in the top of the ninth.
8:01 PM: Dan Uggla is out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight day after straining his left calf during Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies.
The good news is that according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Uggla was able to hit off a tee and take batting practice before tonight’s game and hopes to get back in the lineup tomorrow.
“Hopefully it’ll be that much better tomorrow,” Uggla said. “And if it’s that much better tomorrow, I should be able to play on it.”
The injury was poorly timed for Uggla, who is batting .333 with five homers, four doubles and nine RBI during his current 12-game hitting streak. It’s been a frustrating first year in Atlanta for the slugging second baseman. Even with his recent hot streak, he’s still batting just .193 for the season.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 11
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)