Jul 22, 2011, 8:01 PM EST
UPDATE: Guess he’s just fine. Uggla just hit a pinch-hit two-run homer off Reds’ right-hander Nick Masset to put the Braves ahead 6-4 in the top of the ninth.
8:01 PM: Dan Uggla is out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight day after straining his left calf during Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies.
The good news is that according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Uggla was able to hit off a tee and take batting practice before tonight’s game and hopes to get back in the lineup tomorrow.
“Hopefully it’ll be that much better tomorrow,” Uggla said. “And if it’s that much better tomorrow, I should be able to play on it.”
The injury was poorly timed for Uggla, who is batting .333 with five homers, four doubles and nine RBI during his current 12-game hitting streak. It’s been a frustrating first year in Atlanta for the slugging second baseman. Even with his recent hot streak, he’s still batting just .193 for the season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)