Jul 22, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: Guess he’s just fine. Uggla just hit a pinch-hit two-run homer off Reds’ right-hander Nick Masset to put the Braves ahead 6-4 in the top of the ninth.
8:01 PM: Dan Uggla is out of the Braves’ lineup for the second straight day after straining his left calf during Wednesday’s loss to the Rockies.
The good news is that according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Uggla was able to hit off a tee and take batting practice before tonight’s game and hopes to get back in the lineup tomorrow.
“Hopefully it’ll be that much better tomorrow,” Uggla said. “And if it’s that much better tomorrow, I should be able to play on it.”
The injury was poorly timed for Uggla, who is batting .333 with five homers, four doubles and nine RBI during his current 12-game hitting streak. It’s been a frustrating first year in Atlanta for the slugging second baseman. Even with his recent hot streak, he’s still batting just .193 for the season.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 0
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 21
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)