Jul 22, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
With speculation flying that Carlos Beltran won’t accept a trade to an American League team, SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Friday afternoon that he sees the Phillies and Giants as the favorites to land the Mets outfielder, with the Braves and Brewers also in the running.
ESPN’s Buster Olney said earlier Friday that five teams were in the mix and didn’t include Milwaukee. He said the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Braves and Rangers were the “serious teams.”
If they’re willing to part with either outfielder Gary Brown or RHP Zack Wheeler, the Giants would seem to be in the best position to land Beltran. The Phillies would be crazy to give up Domonic Brown for two-plus months of Beltran, and while first baseman Jonathan Singleton might be up for grabs, he’s not as good of a fit in New York of Gary Brown would be. The Phillies could instead try a deal with top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart. Vance Worley isn’t believed to be on the table.
The Mets are believed to be looking at left-hander Mike Minor in a Beltran deal with the Braves.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)