Jul 22, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
With speculation flying that Carlos Beltran won’t accept a trade to an American League team, SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Friday afternoon that he sees the Phillies and Giants as the favorites to land the Mets outfielder, with the Braves and Brewers also in the running.
ESPN’s Buster Olney said earlier Friday that five teams were in the mix and didn’t include Milwaukee. He said the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Braves and Rangers were the “serious teams.”
If they’re willing to part with either outfielder Gary Brown or RHP Zack Wheeler, the Giants would seem to be in the best position to land Beltran. The Phillies would be crazy to give up Domonic Brown for two-plus months of Beltran, and while first baseman Jonathan Singleton might be up for grabs, he’s not as good of a fit in New York of Gary Brown would be. The Phillies could instead try a deal with top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart. Vance Worley isn’t believed to be on the table.
The Mets are believed to be looking at left-hander Mike Minor in a Beltran deal with the Braves.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (183)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)