Jul 22, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT
With speculation flying that Carlos Beltran won’t accept a trade to an American League team, SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Friday afternoon that he sees the Phillies and Giants as the favorites to land the Mets outfielder, with the Braves and Brewers also in the running.
ESPN’s Buster Olney said earlier Friday that five teams were in the mix and didn’t include Milwaukee. He said the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Braves and Rangers were the “serious teams.”
If they’re willing to part with either outfielder Gary Brown or RHP Zack Wheeler, the Giants would seem to be in the best position to land Beltran. The Phillies would be crazy to give up Domonic Brown for two-plus months of Beltran, and while first baseman Jonathan Singleton might be up for grabs, he’s not as good of a fit in New York of Gary Brown would be. The Phillies could instead try a deal with top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart. Vance Worley isn’t believed to be on the table.
The Mets are believed to be looking at left-hander Mike Minor in a Beltran deal with the Braves.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)