Heyman: Phillies, Giants are favorites for Carlos Beltran

Jul 22, 2011, 6:00 PM EDT

Carlos Beltran, Ryan Howard Getty Images

With speculation flying that Carlos Beltran won’t accept a trade to an American League team, SI.com’s Jon Heyman said Friday afternoon that he sees the Phillies and Giants as the favorites to land the Mets outfielder, with the Braves and Brewers also in the running.

ESPN’s Buster Olney said earlier Friday that five teams were in the mix and didn’t include Milwaukee.  He said the Red Sox, Giants, Phillies, Braves and Rangers were the “serious teams.”

If they’re willing to part with either outfielder Gary Brown or RHP Zack Wheeler, the Giants would seem to be in the best position to land Beltran.  The Phillies would be crazy to give up Domonic Brown for two-plus months of Beltran, and while first baseman Jonathan Singleton might be up for grabs, he’s not as good of a fit in New York of Gary Brown would be.  The Phillies could instead try a deal with top pitching prospect Jarred Cosart.  Vance Worley isn’t believed to be on the table.

The Mets are believed to be looking at left-hander Mike Minor in a Beltran deal with the Braves.

1. skerney - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Belt, Brown, Wheeler? Yeah, let someone else mortgage the farm for Beltran. Giants need offense, but those guys are rightfully off the table. PHI would be wise to pull back Brown too. Not worth it.

• paulsdamnblog - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Absolutely! RAJ would be nuts to pull the trigger on a deal like that. Better to give up a basket of prospects for Hunter Pence, or lesser prospects for Melky Cabrera.

2. proudlycanadian - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM

How about Olney for Heyman straight up?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Can’t we just DFA both of them?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

If by DFA, you mean defenestrate, then I’m on board with that.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Absolutely not!!! Because then we’d still have both of them….

3. Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! If that’s the deal, then let Heyman’s Team to be Named Later have him.

4. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:19 PM

RAJ is obviously no fool. He will not give up Brown or Worley for a rental. Although I believe he will acquire a right handed bat, he won’t do those two for a two month player. The Phillies are good enough to win the World Series as is. Why trade away two cheap, up and coming players who are currently contributing for Beltran? Go get Melky Cabrera for some 2nd tier prospect if possible. Let Cosart and Singleton develop. If they continue to develop, they will be even more valuable at this time next season.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:58 PM

I got blasted by people yesterday for saying that the Phillies shouldn’t give up Worley or Brown to get Beltran. They’re the best team in baseball. Why should they give up good future stars for anyone right now? I had one guy totally misread what I wrote and tell me that giving up worley wouldn’t be enough to get Beltran when what I was saying was that Beltran isn’t worth giving up good young players. I might give up some young talent for other young talent that has proven themselves and would be able to be signed to a long term deal, but not an old player that you’re only gonna sign for a few months.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM

I don’t know who ripped you but whoever it was is nuts. Worley and Brown are off the table for Beltran. Only a deal for Pence would be ok for Worley because he is under control for another year. I wouldn’t give up either of them for a rental.

• dbick - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Brown obviously should be off the table for either Beltran or Pence. However I’d be fine with them trading worley for either one. I’ve seen the Vance worley movie before when it was called JA Happ, and it’s not looking so good for him right now. Worley’s numbers and style of pitching are very similar, probably going to follow a similar career path. Trade him if you can get a big time bat for him as the centerpiece.

• aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Jul 23, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I didn’t see anywhere near the promise with Happ that I see with Worley. Happ wasn’t pitching anywhere near as well as worley has. Happ had a few good games, but as more 60% miss / 40% hit. Worley has been real good for most of his his starts. If it meant trading to get Pence, I’d rather try to move Brown in more of a postion swap so that we’re not cluttering up the outfield, but all in all, I’d rather just try to move other prospects to get him and not trade Brown at all. We would be dealing weith fast Eddie anyway, so there’s always a chance. Any Pence / Victorino / Brown as the outfield of the future, with Hallady / Lee / and Hamels (as long as we can sign Hamels to a nice long extension) guaranteed to pitch for the next 5 years or so, we’d be in Dynasty contention. If Oswalt retires, Worley would come in real handy, so I’d rather not trade him.

5. itsacurse - Jul 22, 2011 at 6:21 PM

The Phillies only have Five Star Garbage to offer.

• macjacmccoy - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:41 PM

your nuts the phillies have 1 of the top farm systems in baseball. Alot of there talent is years away but so are the Mets.

• evanwins - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:53 PM

Odd how GM’s around baseball feel differently. I guess that could prove that you know nothing about baseball, huh?

• xmatt0926x - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:27 PM

And you of course have private access to all these GM’s. I’m sure they are just standing in line to provide you with their opinions.

6. Paul Zummo - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Well I guess this means we can scratch the Philles and Giants from the list of teams likely to acquire Beltran.

7. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:38 PM

Brody Colvin pulled from start after 3 scoreless innings in Clearwater this evening. No apparent injury. Will try to get the low down.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:29 PM

Valle was pulled after 7 innings as well. He is a catcher though and the game was out of hand.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Colvin groin pull.

8. granted42 - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM

Beltran is 34. The perfect age for Sabean. I wouldn’t be surprised if he traded Wheeler and G. Brown for Beltran in hopes of signing him to a long term contract.

9. evanwins - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:05 PM

This whole Beltran to The Phillies thing hasn’t sat right with me from the start. RAJ never goes after these rentals and now he’s hot for a rental with no draft picks attached if he doesn’t resign? He could be driving up the offer, but why? Maybe he doesn’t want to see Beltran in a Giants uniform on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday? I don’t know. But I do know I’d love to see that Hunter Pence in a Phillies uni. I’ve wanted him for the past 2 years (always kills the Phils). And yeah, I’d give up Dominic Brown for him. Financial control until 2013 with his performance? I’ll take it.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3926)