Jul 22, 2011, 7:28 PM EDT
The Reds are missing more than Scott Rolen tonight.
According to Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News, Jay Bruce was scratched from tonight’s lineup against the Braves due to dizziness. However, the young outfielder said his symptoms have nothing to do with the mid-90s temperatures outside.
“Because I haven’t been outside today. I just woke up feeling really bad, feeling terrible. I don’t know what it is because I’m not good at self-diagnosis, but I’m going to see the trainers and I hope I’ll be OK enough that I can pinch-hit or play late in the game.”
Bruce, 24, is batting .266/.345/.496 with 21 homers and 57 RBI over 398 plate appearances this season. He’s hitting just .228 since the start of June.
The Reds enter play tonight at 48-50 and four games back in the National League Central.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)