Jeff Conine: I’d probably trade Hanley Ramirez

Jul 22, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT

Jeff Conine Getty Images

Mr. Marlin isn’t down with the team’s present superstar.

Jeff Conine, who served two stints in teal and is currently employed by the Marlins as a special assistant to team president David Samson, went on The Dan LeBetard show Friday and said Hanley Ramirez frustrates him “on a nightly basis” and that he’d “probably” trade the shortstop if it were up to him.

When asked why Ramirez frustrates him so, Conine responded:

I don’t know. I just, I don’t know. I think that obviously Hanley is a phenomenal talent. But as a guy that — I’m probably jealous too, because I didn’t have that kind of talent, but I had to work extremely hard on a nightly basis to put my talent on the field. I think there are some nights where he doesn’t try as hard as he should.

Conine went on to say that Ramirez was “one of the top five talents in baseball,” but that he doesn’t know if he cares enough.

Ramirez had a miserable first three months of 2011 and is currently hitting .249/.338/.394 in 297 at-bats. While he’s been much better of late — he’s hit .348/.434/.636 with five homers and 18 RBI during July — he’s going to need a scorching second half to beat his 2010 numbers, which were already a big disappointment based on what he did from 2007-09.

1. The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Since coming off the DL, Ramirez is hitting .310/.389/.526. I wish I could not care so good.

2. ftbvt802 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:03 PM

I’m not trying to say Conine doesn’t know what he’s talking about, because he very well could — this is not the first time we’ve heard this. But how exactly do they know he’s not trying hard? That’s what I’d like to hear. I don’t watch Hanley play enough to know, so I’d love Conine or someone else to explain what they see.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:11 PM

There are apparently two primary ways in which you can tell if a player is trying hard.

1) how often he grimaces during exertion or any other sign of effort that makes a task look difficult. If a player makes something look easy, he must not be trying.

2) How intense and vocal a player is, especially when things aren’t going right. If you don’t scream or beat up things when you fail at a task for which failure is common, then you must not care.

3. hcf95688 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Please trade him to my team.

4. cur68 - Jul 22, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I used to stutter as a kid. I was always told I was ‘not trying hard enough not too’. In my experience that whole ‘not trying schtick’ is what people say when they don’t identify with the person they are talking about. Ramirez’s likely trying as hard as he could and too damn hard in most cases. Should have declared his injury right away. But then he would have been called lazy and said to have been doggin’ it. He can’t win with Conine because he doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt from people like Conine. Of course when Ramirez comes off the DL and tears it up like he has, it becomes obvious how hard he is working. Conine’s not letting the facts, circumstances, or Ramirez’s excellent record as ball player get in the way of his narrow mindedness. Just lost some respect for him right there.

5. deathmonkey41 - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:06 PM

I have to admit that when he booted that ball out to the outfield and then causually jogged out to it, I didn’t blame Gonzalez for benching his azz. I can’t say I’ve seen enough of him play to form an opinion though.

6. Old Gator - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:53 PM

Conine is just channeling a lot of what percolates upstairs from the locker room. Hanley’s kiss-my-ass attitude has rubbed a lot of his teammates the wrong way even when he has been playing well. And as the Feesh enter the throes of yet another mini-slump – they dumped their fourth in a row tonight as the boolpen couldn’t keep Mutts off the bases all night – you’re going to hear more of the same. I think part of the problem is that they suppose Hanley’s got the ability to rescue them from themselves and are bitter that he hasn’t done it. But then, even if Hanley is indeed a split personality whose passionate half is constantly at war with his slacker half, these guys haven’t played well enough themselves to hang their expectations on anyone with any kind of legitimacy.

7. rynev - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:57 PM

It would seem to me that if the Marlins actually did want to trade Hanley, it would not be to their benefit to have an employee of the team potentially decreasing his value by saying Hanley doesn’t try hard enough. Maybe that’s just me though…

• Old Gator - Jul 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM

No, that’s not just you. Interesting point. So you have to wonder if Conine was speaking for himself, in which case he might wind up on the carpet before Scrooge McLoria while the Chihuahua tries to hump his leg. Or maybe Scrooge or the Chihuahua sent him out to snap a bolt into Hanley’s ass. The Jeffster is normally a pretty circumspect guy, not the sort who corks off in a vacuum.

• bigharold - Jul 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Or, perhaps this is merely a misguided feeble attempt to stir up potential trade partners will the GM having to look too interested in doing the trade?

8. cktai - Jul 23, 2011 at 3:28 AM

I always get annoyed when people claim that someone is extremely talented but does not work hard enough, or alternatively that someone might not be very talented but works extremely hard. First of all, no matter how talented you are, if you don’t put in effort, if you don’t work really really hard, you won’t make it to the big leagues. The level of play is so high that no-one can cruise through it on talent alone. Second, no matter how hard you work, if you are not extremely talented, you won’t make it. There is just too much competition that also works hard, maybe even harder. They can’t all make it.

9. luckynucky - Jul 23, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Something personal is going on…. players don’t talk like Conine is smacking.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2899)