Josh Hamilton ditches custom sunglasses after going 0-for-3

Jul 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Texas Rangers Getty Images

In an effort to solve his problems hitting in day games Josh Hamilton wore a pair of specially designed sunglasses yesterday, but after going 0-for-3 he ditched the shades in his final plate appearance … and drew a walk.

Hamilton has also tried eye drops and what Jeff Caplan of ESPN Dallas describes as “lid scrubs designed to wipe away sweat that can make its way to the eye and dry on the cornea overnight.”

And nothing has worked yet, as the reigning MVP is hitting just .111 in 18 day games this season to continue career-long struggles in the afternoon. At night he’s hitting .365 with 13 homers.

Hamilton explained to Caplan that doctors have told him having blue eyes and sweating a lot are to blame for his afternoon struggles, but that seems only semi-plausible given that plenty of other blue-eyed hitters sweat a lot and don’t see their production plummet in day games. For his career Hamilton has hit .335 with a .980 OPS at night compared to just .235 with a .717 OPS during the day.

1. Joe - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:06 AM

Lid scrubs?

Wasn’t it on this blog where I just read about “fair eyed” individuals being especially susceptible to daylight? That would seem to make it more than semi-plausable, perhaps even moving it into quite plausible territory.

• shaggytoodle - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I think the whole sweat thing is kind of iffy, but I do know that on bright days my blue eyes do get irrateted if i forget my shades, and find myself kind of squinting while driving around at times.

• stinkfist5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM

That’s funny, my brown eyes do the same thing…Lame excuse.

• shaggytoodle - Jul 23, 2011 at 12:21 AM

its been proven by studies. its a fact you can look it up if you like

2. The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I’m going to need the good people at BP to do a study of all the blue-eyed hitters and how they performed during the day versus at night. Also, break it down by ballpark to control somewhat for level of sweatiness.

3. randall351 - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:21 AM

I say get a killer headband to help with the sweat.
    It worked for this guy:

4. indyralph - Jul 22, 2011 at 12:10 PM

All right, Aaron. This is where I’m gonna go all Chris F. on you and say this is where stats people are off-base. Not all people are the average. Hamilton could very well be the outlier. If he’s having trouble seeing during the day time, he’s having trouble seeing during the day time. It doesn’t matter than being blue-eyed and sweaty doesn’t affect most people. Most guys who weigh 165 pounds can occasionally eat half a pizza and drink 3 beers without a problem. I get so bloated that I could sail across Lake Michigan just with flatulence.

• cur68 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM

“I get so bloated that I could sail across Lake Michigan just with flatulence.”

Self description of the year IMO. Golf clap. Up wind, of course.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Is golf clap anything like knee clap?

5. hittfamily - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Josh Hamilton ditches custom sunglasses after going 0-for-3

Anyone else reminded of the commercial where a guy is taking bp and he sucks, so he blames it on his jersey. Hamilton then steps up and rips one, and says the jerseys fine.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3998)