Jul 22, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT
The judge in the Dodgers bankruptcy case just ruled that Frank McCourt cannot use the financing he obtained from Highbridge Principal Strategies to keep the Dodgers running during their time in bankruptcy. Rather, he has ordered the Dodgers to negotiate with Major League Baseball in order to obtain financing from the league. You can read the order here.
Key from the court’s ruling was the judge’s belief that the terms of the Highbridge loan — which have Frank McCourt personally on the hook for over $5 million if it wasn’t used — “clearly compromised McCourt’s judgment.” Presumably, this means that the judge believes that McCourt was unwilling to consider superior MLB financing because to do so would personally cost him money, even if it was better off for the Dodgers and their creditors.
McCourt put his own financial interests ahead of the Dodgers’? Fancy that.
While this does not move Frank McCourt out of the owner’s chair — the judge ultimately retains authority over how money is spent during bankruptcy and specifically said in his ruling that the MLB loan could not be a vehicle via which MLB can take over the Dodgers — this is a huge win for Bud Selig and a huge loss from Frank McCourt, whose baloney is obviously not flying with this judge.
Oh, and since that Highbridge loan isn’t going to be used, McCourt just lost $5.5. million. So there’s that.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)