Jul 22, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse has been cleared to take his next turn in the rotation Sunday after leaving the Cardinals to have his injured right index finger examined by team doctors in St. Louis yesterday.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that an MRI exam revealed no structural damage, so Lohse has been placed in a temporary splint and given anti-inflammatory medication.
Lance Lynn will likely be on standby should the Cardinals decide Lohse isn’t able to pitch Sunday, but the right-hander was “relieved” to get the relatively positive news on what he feared may have been a serious injury.
However, with a 1-5 record and 5.70 ERA in his last eight starts Lohse is hardly out of the woods yet in terms of being able to pitch effectively through the finger problems.
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 14
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 8
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 95
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)