Jul 22, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
We got no ruling in the Dodgers bankruptcy case yesterday, but there were two things of interest that popped up on the McCourt radar.
First, the L.A. Times has obtained the letter Bud Selig sent Frank McCourt back in June when he rejected McCourt’s proposed TV deal with Fox. In the letter he cited McCourt’s m.o. of looting team revenue sources, saying that “no other owner has sacrificed so much of his team’s future for an immediate payoff.” He also cited the IRS investigation into the McCourts’ finances, which is something we’ve heard very little about recently, but which could be another tremendously large shoe to drop in the future.
The second interesting thing, for those of you who like the McCourt stuff anyway, is a huge article in the August issue of Vanity Fair which tells the entire McCourt tale, primarily from a society pages perspective. You know the general contours of this already, but it’s interesting if you’ve, say, forgotten just how icky Jamie McCourt is, what with all of the focus on Frank recently. Or if you have forgotten just how crazy irresponsible the McCourts got with respect to real estate:
For beach homes, they purchased a John Lautner-designed house in Malibu, called the Segel residence, from Courteney Cox and David Arquette for $27.3 million. They took the beachfront bungalow next door, too—after all, it was only $19 million. In court papers, Jamie said that they used the bungalow to house an overflow of guests from time to time and do extra laundry.
Well, you gotta do laundry, right?
Here’s hoping a ruling in the bankruptcy case comes today.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 42
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 33
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)