Jul 22, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
We got no ruling in the Dodgers bankruptcy case yesterday, but there were two things of interest that popped up on the McCourt radar.
First, the L.A. Times has obtained the letter Bud Selig sent Frank McCourt back in June when he rejected McCourt’s proposed TV deal with Fox. In the letter he cited McCourt’s m.o. of looting team revenue sources, saying that “no other owner has sacrificed so much of his team’s future for an immediate payoff.” He also cited the IRS investigation into the McCourts’ finances, which is something we’ve heard very little about recently, but which could be another tremendously large shoe to drop in the future.
The second interesting thing, for those of you who like the McCourt stuff anyway, is a huge article in the August issue of Vanity Fair which tells the entire McCourt tale, primarily from a society pages perspective. You know the general contours of this already, but it’s interesting if you’ve, say, forgotten just how icky Jamie McCourt is, what with all of the focus on Frank recently. Or if you have forgotten just how crazy irresponsible the McCourts got with respect to real estate:
For beach homes, they purchased a John Lautner-designed house in Malibu, called the Segel residence, from Courteney Cox and David Arquette for $27.3 million. They took the beachfront bungalow next door, too—after all, it was only $19 million. In court papers, Jamie said that they used the bungalow to house an overflow of guests from time to time and do extra laundry.
Well, you gotta do laundry, right?
Here’s hoping a ruling in the bankruptcy case comes today.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)