Jul 22, 2011, 8:25 AM EDT
We got no ruling in the Dodgers bankruptcy case yesterday, but there were two things of interest that popped up on the McCourt radar.
First, the L.A. Times has obtained the letter Bud Selig sent Frank McCourt back in June when he rejected McCourt’s proposed TV deal with Fox. In the letter he cited McCourt’s m.o. of looting team revenue sources, saying that “no other owner has sacrificed so much of his team’s future for an immediate payoff.” He also cited the IRS investigation into the McCourts’ finances, which is something we’ve heard very little about recently, but which could be another tremendously large shoe to drop in the future.
The second interesting thing, for those of you who like the McCourt stuff anyway, is a huge article in the August issue of Vanity Fair which tells the entire McCourt tale, primarily from a society pages perspective. You know the general contours of this already, but it’s interesting if you’ve, say, forgotten just how icky Jamie McCourt is, what with all of the focus on Frank recently. Or if you have forgotten just how crazy irresponsible the McCourts got with respect to real estate:
For beach homes, they purchased a John Lautner-designed house in Malibu, called the Segel residence, from Courteney Cox and David Arquette for $27.3 million. They took the beachfront bungalow next door, too—after all, it was only $19 million. In court papers, Jamie said that they used the bungalow to house an overflow of guests from time to time and do extra laundry.
Well, you gotta do laundry, right?
Here’s hoping a ruling in the bankruptcy case comes today.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)