Jul 22, 2011, 8:25 AM EST
We got no ruling in the Dodgers bankruptcy case yesterday, but there were two things of interest that popped up on the McCourt radar.
First, the L.A. Times has obtained the letter Bud Selig sent Frank McCourt back in June when he rejected McCourt’s proposed TV deal with Fox. In the letter he cited McCourt’s m.o. of looting team revenue sources, saying that “no other owner has sacrificed so much of his team’s future for an immediate payoff.” He also cited the IRS investigation into the McCourts’ finances, which is something we’ve heard very little about recently, but which could be another tremendously large shoe to drop in the future.
The second interesting thing, for those of you who like the McCourt stuff anyway, is a huge article in the August issue of Vanity Fair which tells the entire McCourt tale, primarily from a society pages perspective. You know the general contours of this already, but it’s interesting if you’ve, say, forgotten just how icky Jamie McCourt is, what with all of the focus on Frank recently. Or if you have forgotten just how crazy irresponsible the McCourts got with respect to real estate:
For beach homes, they purchased a John Lautner-designed house in Malibu, called the Segel residence, from Courteney Cox and David Arquette for $27.3 million. They took the beachfront bungalow next door, too—after all, it was only $19 million. In court papers, Jamie said that they used the bungalow to house an overflow of guests from time to time and do extra laundry.
Well, you gotta do laundry, right?
Here’s hoping a ruling in the bankruptcy case comes today.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)