Jul 22, 2011, 2:44 PM EST
As expected, the Phillies have activated Brad Lidge from the disabled list after the former closer missed the first 97 games of the season with shoulder and elbow problems.
To make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Lidge they designated Danys Baez for assignment, which is a move that’s been a long time coming.
Baez signed a two-year, $5.25 million deal with the Phillies in January of 2010 and has given them 84 innings of 5.81 ERA pitching for that money.
He provided some rare value by throwing five scoreless innings in a marathon win over the Reds on May 25, but in the two months since then Baez has logged a grand total of just 12 innings … and has allowed 17 runs.
Charlie Manuel will probably work Lidge back into the bullpen mix somewhat slowly, which is a luxury made possible by Ryan Madson and Antonio Bastardo, but if he looks good in his first few appearances the Phillies may decide they don’t need any further relief help at the trade deadline.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)