Phillies activate Brad Lidge from DL, drop Danys Baez

Jul 22, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT

brad-lidge-and-charlie-manuel-phillies AP

As expected, the Phillies have activated Brad Lidge from the disabled list after the former closer missed the first 97 games of the season with shoulder and elbow problems.

To make room on the roster and in the bullpen for Lidge they designated Danys Baez for assignment, which is a move that’s been a long time coming.

Baez signed a two-year, $5.25 million deal with the Phillies in January of 2010 and has given them 84 innings of 5.81 ERA pitching for that money.

He provided some rare value by throwing five scoreless innings in a marathon win over the Reds on May 25, but in the two months since then Baez has logged a grand total of just 12 innings … and has allowed 17 runs.

Charlie Manuel will probably work Lidge back into the bullpen mix somewhat slowly, which is a luxury made possible by Ryan Madson and Antonio Bastardo, but if he looks good in his first few appearances the Phillies may decide they don’t need any further relief help at the trade deadline.

1. mox19380 - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM

we left the on light for ya… now it’s time to turn them off. Welcome back Lights Out (tentatively speaking) Lidge

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:49 PM

This is very good news.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Man, I was dead ass wrong on this. I really thought they would hang on to Baez and option one of the other three who are terrible. Don’t get me wrong, he is the worst of the lot and I am glad that I was wrong… I am just surprised. Also, a large welcome back to Lidge. He will certainly be an upgrade. I am guessing an ERA around 3.24 for Lidge by seasons end.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:08 PM

So what happens if—bahahahaha, sorry—WHEN he clears with no takers? Resign him as a coach?

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:12 PM

That is a good thought UH….He will be paid his rather exorbitant salary no matter what. Yeah, why not bring him back to sit in the bullpen and hang it with the guys. It will provide all the good things he does with the added benefit of never stepping foot on the mound for the Phillies again.

4. phillydano - Jul 22, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Go get em, Lidge.

5. FC - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Well if they could designate J.C… But yeah Baez was just not getting it done on a consistent basis. I’m also surprised, I mean that nice spotless 5 inning piece of work against the Reds he couldn’t do more. When Oz comes back I’m guessing Carpenter goes down, and Kendrick slides back to middle relief.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I was kind of upset to see Baez go before JC. It was as if they didn’t understand he was a loogy, or he spit in someone’s food. Baez is bad no matter what side they bat from.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Jayson Stark stat…Baez has the 5th highest ERA in team history with 80 or more appearance. No matter what hand he throws with, he’s a LOOGY

• FC - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:31 PM

He was not THAT effective a LOOGY, in 7 high leverage at-bat situations he walked said lefty 3 times and was hit once. If you’re going to keep one pitcher just for those situations he’d better be good 80-90% of the time, not less than 50%

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I think you meant JC go before Baez….Yeah, Baez was coming off a decent outing or two so I guess they cut him a break. That and in theory Baez can go multiple innings. With KK sliding into the 5th spot my guess is that they viewed that as somewhat valuable.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:36 PM

I meant above JC before Baez fyi, sorry. Gator is winning me over on “edit function”

FC, I know, but he was still better than Baez imo. That was my point.

6. Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Old school Uni’s tonight. Powder blues I’m guessing…

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:39 PM

J5…I’m working down here right now…119 degrees with the freaking heat index!!! This is insane!!

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I work inside where it’s kept at meat locker temps so I’m probably pissing you off telling you this. Anyway, It’s going to be a killer tonight.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I meant to write how hot it is likely to be at the Bank tonight…isn’t it retro 80’s night tonight?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Would they do the road unis at home?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Probably not, but I’d like to see the road colors myself. The old school greys were pretty damn nice.

• jeffhink - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:46 PM

White pinstripes.

7. drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Interesting line-up tonight against the lefty: Rollins, Martinez, Utley, Howard, Victorino, Ruiz, Francisco, Mayberry Jr.

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM

That is interesting. I guess if you want to trade Ben F, you hope like hell he does something tonight. I just hope Victorino isn’t out for a reason. A “reason”.

• drmonkeyarmy - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:00 PM

What are you talking about with Victorino? I think I am missing something regarding your post.

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Perish that thought from your mind, Jonny!!!!! The Hawaiian can’t fly somewhere else!!!

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

(But he’s in the lineup anyway.)

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I completely overlooked Victorino in the lineup. I guess I just can’t see him in the 5 hole. ;) Although he will do well there I think. Ut, thanks for pointing it out. I may have forgotten about Brown for a bit.

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

I said it before…Uncle Cholly sticks with someone, as long as they hit. Mikey Marts is hitting, and the Unc is sticking with him. I hope he keeps it up.

8. cktai - Jul 23, 2011 at 4:16 AM

That picture is great Aaron.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3130)