Placido Polanco “had a series of injections to relieve pain”

Jul 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Anti-inflammatory medication didn’t do the trick, so Placido Polanco “had a series of injections to relieve pain and swelling caused by a bulging disc in his lower back” yesterday, according to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com.

He hasn’t been in the Phillies’ lineup since July 4 and has struggled to hit while playing through the injury for much of the season, finally opting out of the All-Star game to rest after initially saying he planned to start for the National League.

Polanco is already eligible to come off the disabled list, but there’s no timetable for his return yet and players are typically shut down for several days after receiving injections.

Philadelphia has MLB’s best record at 61-36, so rather than rushing Polanco back the Phillies’ goal should be getting him as healthy as possible for September and October so a move for help at third base isn’t needed.

1. The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

“had a series of injections”

How is that not performance enhancing? I suppose if they don’t work…but otherwise, how is that different from what Bartolo Colon had done?

• Chris Fiorentino - Jul 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I don’t think he got stem cell injections did he? Or HGH? Or PED? I believe these were simply pain-killing injections. The day that these are illegal is the day that sports as we know them cease to exist.

• The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:05 AM

Are stem cell injections illegal? I don’t think they are. But there’s no doubt that both treatments are designed to improve performance, right?

• Utley's Hair - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Painkillers are designed to improve performance?

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Who’s harshing on Colon for stem cell injections? No one here. Dude, you can’t lump these together with PED’s in an attempt to make other true PED abusers look better. It just doesn’t work that way.

• The Common Man - Jul 22, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Well, I’m conflicted about PEDs (I enjoyed the ’90s and early ’00s, but then didn’t we all), so I’m not actually trying to make them sound better than they are. I’m just interested in the question. But you’re right that no one has raised the stem cells = PEDs argument here, to the best of my knowledge. Sorry for the distraction.

• bleedgreen - Jul 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Isn’t Advil ‘performance enhancing’? If you have a massive headache and your legs are sore, you can’t run as well or concentrate at the plate. Pop 2 Advil, headache goes away, leg soreness goes away… so you can run and hit. So you’re … enhancing your performance with drugs… no?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5575)