Jul 22, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Rafael Soriano has been out since mid-May with an elbow injury, but yesterday manager Joe Girardi told Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com that he’ll “probably” be cleared to come off the disabled list by Wednesday or Thursday of next week.
Soriano had a 5.40 ERA in 16 appearances before the injury, but turned in five straight scoreless outings before being shut down and Girardi has already indicated that he’ll resume serving as the Yankees’ primary eighth-inning setup man once healthy.
Some of that has to do with Joba Chamberlain being out for the season following Tommy John elbow surgery, but David Robertson made the All-Star team with a dominant first half and has a 3.37 ERA with 231 strikeouts in 174 innings, so he’d clearly be capable of remaining in the eighth-inning role while Soriano tries to get on track.
Also a potential factor: Soriano earning $10 million this season and the Yankees owing him another $25 million for the next two years.
Before that can even be an issue Soriano must first avoid a setback while working on consecutive days, which he’ll attempt Sunday and Monday in the minors.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)