Jul 22, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this week Chicago radio station WSCR-670 (and later the Chicago Tribune) reported that the Cubs had talked to Hall of Fame general manager Pat Gillick about taking a potential role with the team.
The next day Cubs president Tom Ricketts denied having any talks with Gillick, saying: “Reports of a conversation are unfounded.”
And now Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago quotes “one of his longtime associates” as saying that Gillick “would definitely consider the Cubs … if the situation was right for Pat.”
So, to recap: One report said the Cubs had talked to Gillick, the Cubs said they hadn’t talked to Gillick, and now someone who’s worked with him in the past thinks the Cubs should talk to Gillick.
As for Gillick himself, he told the Chicago Sun-Times that he’d be open to potentially leaving his consulting job with the Philllies for “something in a presidency role” elsewhere and “if something came up where it would be above the GM position, I would think about it.”
Gillick is 74 years old and last served as a GM with the Phillies in 2008, but the Cubs seem ready to part with longtime GM Jim Hendry and they could certainly do a lot worse than turning to Gillick even if he’s realistically a short-term solution.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 12
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?