Jul 22, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Earlier this week Chicago radio station WSCR-670 (and later the Chicago Tribune) reported that the Cubs had talked to Hall of Fame general manager Pat Gillick about taking a potential role with the team.
The next day Cubs president Tom Ricketts denied having any talks with Gillick, saying: “Reports of a conversation are unfounded.”
And now Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago quotes “one of his longtime associates” as saying that Gillick “would definitely consider the Cubs … if the situation was right for Pat.”
So, to recap: One report said the Cubs had talked to Gillick, the Cubs said they hadn’t talked to Gillick, and now someone who’s worked with him in the past thinks the Cubs should talk to Gillick.
As for Gillick himself, he told the Chicago Sun-Times that he’d be open to potentially leaving his consulting job with the Philllies for “something in a presidency role” elsewhere and “if something came up where it would be above the GM position, I would think about it.”
Gillick is 74 years old and last served as a GM with the Phillies in 2008, but the Cubs seem ready to part with longtime GM Jim Hendry and they could certainly do a lot worse than turning to Gillick even if he’s realistically a short-term solution.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)