Jul 22, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
Buster Olney tweeted the following a bit ago:
Source: Carlos Beltran trade talks down to five serious teams, which includes BOS, SF, PHI, ATL, TEX. CLE, PIT basically out of conversation.
I wasn’t aware that Cleveland was ever in the conversation. Pittsburgh was an interesting idea, but I think that high is starting to wear off and people are starting to realize that it makes little sense for the Pirates to move a useful prospect for a chance at prolonging the magic.
It was reported yesterday that San Francisco was falling back too, because they’re unwilling to move a prospect. It was reported this morning that Beltran may be reluctant to approve a trade to an AL team, so maybe that hurts Boston.
Looks like a Philly-Atlanta battle, no? My guess is that Philly gets him.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 28
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 5
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 87
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)