The Red Sox have talked to the Royals about Jeff Francoeur

Jul 22, 2011, 4:03 PM EST

Kansas City Royals v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

I don’t post this because it’s likely to lead to anything. In fact the guy who reported that the Sox and Royals have discussed Francoeur — Jon Paul Morosi — said that they were “exploratory” and not likely to go anywhere. But the mere existence of Francoeur talks with a team other than Atlanta makes me feel a tad better about the state of the world, so I gotta cling on to it like grim death.

To be honest, though, Francoeur could help the Sox if they kept him in a strict platoon.  Same goes for just about anyone.  I have little faith that Atlanta would platoon him, though, so his very presence on the market causes me great vexation and agitation.

1. 18thstreet - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I hope Jeff Francoeur never retires. This blog would cease to be (no offense to the other authors).

2. Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Best friends forever….

• yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM

That Frenchy! Fan favorite….never misses a photo op!

• Jonny 5 - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Frenchy is a man, myth, and legend. In Atlanta. And needs to go back to his roots. Like Salmon do.

3. yankeesfanlen - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha………yeah take him, makes me feel better about having Marcus Thames back within 100 miles of the Stadium.

4. cur68 - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Frenchie like a cat; lands on all four pawsies no matter what. He makes it to the Sox, then he gets his WS Ring then we all gotta shaddap about never living up to his hype. You guys wait; Frenchie will make it to the HOF. All he’s gotta do is smile real nice and hold his bat. He’ll be in.

5. Matthew Pouliot - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Morosi has the following line in his article: The Royals have a mutual option on Francoeur for next season, so they are under no pressure to move him.

Such a ridiculous thing to write. The odds of that mutual option actually getting picked up by both sides are like 100:1.

6. Jack Marshall - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Frenchy is so much the antithesis of the Red Sox organizational philosophy that I view this report as total fantasy.

• paperlions - Jul 22, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I thought the same thing. The talk about Francoeur probably went something like:

Sox: Man, watching Francoeur play everyday must be pretty frustrating, huh?

Royals: Yeah. *sigh* But he’s really great in the club house, always smiling.

Sox: That’s nice.

7. Ari Collins - Jul 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM

No. Just no.

8. marshmallowsnake - Jul 22, 2011 at 5:36 PM

I would rather leave RF vacant.

9. JBerardi - Jul 22, 2011 at 9:13 PM

Do all you Red Sox fans in this thread know that Francoeur hits .299/.344/.493 against lefties for his career, right? He’s actually a nice fit for the Red Sox as the short half of a platoon with Reddick. The Red Sox also have a huge backlog of mid-level prospects. I’d like to see this get done, and I think there’s a decent chance it might, just based on how the teams match up.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5009)