Jul 22, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
Hey, you can’t get anything in this nasty old world unless you ask for it, right? So give credit to Brian Cashman for actually making the call to the Rays to inquire about James Shields, even if there was less than a snowflake’s chance that anything would come of it. I mean, weirder things have happened.
But yeah, it’s one thing for the Mets to shop Carlos Beltran to the Phillies and the Braves, but it’s a totally different thing for the Rays and Yankees to make a deal. Unlike Shields, Beltran is obviously a straight rental. Likewise, the Rays are still arguably in contention this year where the Mets are not. More significantly, the Rays are more likely to seriously contend in the next two years than the Mets are, so they certainly have no interest in strengthening their opposition.
But hey, can’t hurt to make such calls, can it?
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 76
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 42
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 24
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)