Jul 22, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Hey, you can’t get anything in this nasty old world unless you ask for it, right? So give credit to Brian Cashman for actually making the call to the Rays to inquire about James Shields, even if there was less than a snowflake’s chance that anything would come of it. I mean, weirder things have happened.
But yeah, it’s one thing for the Mets to shop Carlos Beltran to the Phillies and the Braves, but it’s a totally different thing for the Rays and Yankees to make a deal. Unlike Shields, Beltran is obviously a straight rental. Likewise, the Rays are still arguably in contention this year where the Mets are not. More significantly, the Rays are more likely to seriously contend in the next two years than the Mets are, so they certainly have no interest in strengthening their opposition.
But hey, can’t hurt to make such calls, can it?
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)