Jul 22, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Hey, you can’t get anything in this nasty old world unless you ask for it, right? So give credit to Brian Cashman for actually making the call to the Rays to inquire about James Shields, even if there was less than a snowflake’s chance that anything would come of it. I mean, weirder things have happened.
But yeah, it’s one thing for the Mets to shop Carlos Beltran to the Phillies and the Braves, but it’s a totally different thing for the Rays and Yankees to make a deal. Unlike Shields, Beltran is obviously a straight rental. Likewise, the Rays are still arguably in contention this year where the Mets are not. More significantly, the Rays are more likely to seriously contend in the next two years than the Mets are, so they certainly have no interest in strengthening their opposition.
But hey, can’t hurt to make such calls, can it?
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)